The simple addition of an SSD will provide an exponential performance increase over any HDD, and we are witnessing an increasing number of administrators utilizing consumer SSDs to realize these gains with minimal investment. This rip-and-replace model does not always provide the expected TCO advantages, and performance and reliability tradeoffs become a concern.
This trend has created a new market segment, with SSD manufacturers jumping in to fill the void between heavy workload enterprise SSDs and client-side products. The CloudSpeed 500 is geared for the value market, and is intended to compete directly with consumer SSDs. The CloudSpeed 500 provides performance and endurance advantages that will be hard to match for typical client-side hardware.
The Samsung SM843 is another SSD intended to compete in this segment, and the match-up between these two drives is close in many aspects. As we move forward with more product evaluations, we will see the test pool for this product segment grow very quickly.
The aggressive pricing of the SM843 also places it within striking range of consumer products. The Samsung SM843 tends to fall into a read-centric performance envelope. We witnessed strong performance in several read-centric workloads, particularly the webserver and fileserver emulations. However, the CloudSpeed 500 features more robust performance characteristics in heavier write workload environments. The consistent performance in mixed read/write workloads is an advantage for those looking for a competitively priced SSD.
The CloudSpeed 500 also offers up host power-fail protection with SMART Storage Systems Power Guard technology. This provides the SSD the ability to write all data down to the NAND in the event of a power failure. This is a feature we commonly see in expensive enterprise SSDs, and is a welcome inclusion at this price point.
The CloudSpeed price range depends upon many factors, so exact pricing figures can fluctuate. The CloudSpeed normal price range is in the $1 to $1.50 range per GB. For such competitive pricing, the CloudSpeed 500 features great performance in heavy write workloads, and the addition of power fail technology is a big advantage over competing devices.
Utilizing the proven LSI SandForce SF-2581 provides a reliable platform with several key data protection features baked-in. R.A.I.S.E. and Guardian Technology combine to provide a level of data security a surprising 100X the JEDEC specification for enterprise-class SSDs.
SMART Storage Systems enjoys the reputation and reliability of a tier-one OEM supplier, and the along with the five year warranty, it provides this durable SSD a clear advantage over consumer products, and many enterprise competitors.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Moto Racer 4 gameplay trailer revealed
- Skyrim hasn't yet been confirmed for the Nintendo Switch
- Blizzard announces a new voice chat app for desktops
- NVIDIA's new GeForce 375.57 drivers are ready for BF1
- Sony added 1GB of DRAM to the PS4 Pro, joins 8GB GDDR5
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system