Installation and Finished Product
To get the X60 mounted I went ahead and grabbed the Intel back plate. While these are a composite material that likely won't short out, there are two foam pads that you must apply it the one side to help protect solder points on the motherboard.
Then you have to flip over the back plate, and in each of the four corners, you need to slide in the metal inserts. You align them with the flat spots, so that they don't twist when used, but make sure you have it in the correct hole, like how I set it in the 1156 holes for my system.
I find it is a bit easier to take the top plate, apply the hardware to each of the holes, and pass the screws through prior to putting it on the head unit. It is just easier to access and flip around without the weight of the head unit and the tubes getting in your way.
After looking at the top of the head unit to align the legs so the logo is going the way you want it to, set the tabs from the ring into the notches all around the head unit. Once that is done, click in the lock ring from the bottom to keep the hardware in place as you attempt to screw this to the motherboard.
At this point you should peel the other side of the foam tape that you applied to the back plate, and stick it to the motherboard with the metal inserts lined up with the holes around the socket.
Then all you have to do is align the hardware on the head unit, and then screw the four screws in with an X pattern of maybe three to five turns on each screw, then move to the next one in the pattern. You know you are done when the threads bottom out.
Since with an AIO there aren't any clearance issues, I moved right to the wiring. You can tie up the 3-pin for the pump and tuck it away, and the USB cable will wrap right behind the board. The fan cable I tied to one of the hose, just to keep it in place since I test open air and am not so worried about cable management.
With the cable going over the top of the motherboard, and here now at the bottom, I had to tie up quite a bit of the cable to look clean here. In a chassis, there will be plenty to use the management holes provided and still easily make this connection.
I just wanted to step back and take a minute to absorb the Kraken X60 and its size. I know my wiring to the radiator is a bit unsightly, but in a chassis there is plenty of length to make all the fan connection, and the 6" drop of the SATA power connector makes it easier and closer to the PSU.
When you gain control of the X60 via the software you can change the default white I have shown here. If you don't like white, that is fine too, as the software gives you the full RGB scale to tune in any specific color you want.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [NZXT Kraken X60 AIO CPU Cooler]
- Page 5 [NZXT Kraken X60 Continued]
- Page 6 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 7 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 8 [Software]
- Page 9 [Test System and Thermal Results]
- Page 10 [Noise Level Results]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance