- The Fan
The fan is a Vantec branded model made by none other than Delta, the leader in processor cooling fans. It is their standard 38-CFM model and delivers an abundance of cool air for the removal of excess heat on the heatsink. it's rated at 6800 RPM and puts out about 46 dba in the noise category.
While testing this unit, I was getting well over 7100 RPM with this fan. While it is rated at 6800, the extra effort of it will do a very nice job of dissipating heat. Anything that can be done to help get rid of heat is a good thing and when the fan puts out extra power on it's own, then it's doubly good.
The fan came with a fan grill, and that is always a plus when you but a high-end cooling device. Most know my views on this little piece. While it's not a mandatory addition to a fan unit, it's a nice touch when a company adds it on its own.
The power comes by way of a 3-pin connector that hooks to the motherboard. It also has the third wire hooked up so that you can monitor fan speeds through either the BIOS or a software utility like SiSoft Sandra. One item of note is the notice that the Cooler Guys put on their website concerning the connector:
"We recommend powering this fan via the main power supply, not the mainboard."
I have long preferred the 4-pin connectors for extra fans, and it seems that the Cooler Guys do too. The power is more stable from the power supply, and will overall result in a more reliable cooling solution.
- The Heatsink
The heatsink is made of a good grade of aluminum and has a dual split down the center to handle their choice of clip mechanism. It consists of 20 fins going through the unit, and measures in at a very hefty 60mm x 80mm x 40mm.
The base of the unit was a pleasant surprise because it had no thermal tape. I have found thermal tape to be worse than useless when overclocking, and it's a royal pain to clean off after it's been used. The base was also fairly smooth, but had very slight ridges going lengthwise over the bottom. This is actually better than most companies produce. It was a simple matter of taking a fine grade of sandpaper and finishing up the lapping.
The clip mechanism was a dream in heatsinks. it's customary to have a small war on your hands when it comes time to install the unit, but this one went on with ease. The wide style of the handle allows you to push down on it with your hand, and the swiveled head was very easy to place over the retaining lug of the socket. Small details like this are what make a heatsink stand out from the crowd.
One final item to note in the design of this sink is the cutouts on the sides of the unit. These were placed so that the heatsink can be installed on boards that have capacitors close to the sides of the socket. Just another nice feature that shows that Vantec is thinking of the user and how their product will be used.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Be Quiet! launches its Silent Base 600 chassis with insulation
- Cyberpunk 2077 is 'far bigger than anything' CD Projekt Red has made
- View-Master goes next-gen with a new VR-powered View-Master
- Some iPhone 6S handsets are running so hot they are shutting down
- Roku 4 announced, has 4K support, remote finder and much more
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio