Installation and Finished Product
If you are using AMD, there is only one hole in that back plate to install the metal threads into. With the Intel kit, look closely, as it does say which hole is for what socket, and for our testing, I set them in the 1155/1156 holes.
After that I flipped over the plate and installed the foam isolation pads. While the back plate is plastic and likely won't short anything, there are a few solder points that these do buffer against on my board, and every little bit of protection helps.
On the head unit, once you have the top ring in place and set the tabs into all the notches around it, you then have to clip in the lock ring to keep this hardware secure and in place for the rest of the installation. I would like to note that this ring seems a bit larger than normal and was a real pain to get it locked in.
In each of the four holes in the metal top ring, you need to install the top plastic clip into the lower section, and again they are marked. Here I have the 1155/1156 marking facing out so that it fits my board. Once those are clipped in, you just push the screw through them and you are ready to go.
Since the holes for the 1155 mounting are offset, it does leave the back plate on an angle in respect to the motherboard, but it matters little to its ability to work or add the correct pressure around the socket.
Than all you have to do is flip the board over, and attach the head unit via the four screws. Don't worry about the pressure here, just screw these in until the threads stop, and let the engineering of the X40 work for you.
Stepping back a bit, you can see there is plenty of tubing to allow this radiator to make it to the back of any chassis with 140mm fan support, and easily reaches the top. With this much tubing, you can actually reach the bottom in some mid-tower cases, and it makes optical bay installation mods much easier.
Once powered on, you can have control of the LED lighting system. While the X40 does offer 16.8 million color choices with the RGB scale, I simply chose one to highlight the feature as I cannot take images of every color combination.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [NZXT Kraken X40 AIO CPU Cooler]
- Page 5 [NZXT Kraken X40 Continued]
- Page 6 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 7 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 8 [Software]
- Page 9 [Test System and Thermal Results]
- Page 10 [Noise Level Results]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft testing Gears of War 4 PC, console crossplay
- Final Fantasy XV ships five million units in first day
- SSD costs expected to rise by 6-10% in early 2017
- Playdead drops Inside game demo free via Steam site
- Small patch for No Man's Sky incoming
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair