HD Tune Pro
Version and / or Patch Used: 4.00
Developer Homepage: http://www.efdsoftware.com
Product Homepage: http://www.hdtune.com
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
Benchmark: measures the performance
Info: shows detailed information
Health: checks the health status by using SMART
Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has gained popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
Our OCZ Vertex 3.20 120GB arrived well tested with 1TB of data written to the flash and around 27 hours on the clock. We normally don't see this, but media sample are sometimes tested before shipping out for reviews. Our testing methodology states that a drive starts from fresh out of box condition and then we chip away at the flash in the early tests and get to true consumer steady state by the middle of the review.
The first thing we did was secure erase the OCZ Vertex 3.20, but from the results above I'm not entirely sure we managed to get the drive to steady state. We used two tools, OCZ's SSD Tool and later Parted Magic after seeing the performance delivered after using OCZ's official secure erase.
In this test in what should have been a clean state, Vertex 3.20 is down quite a bit to other LSI SandForce based drives with 120GB. In my opinion, the best MLC SandForce based drive is still the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS with 3xnm Toggle, as you can see there is a wide margin in sequential single queue depth read performance. The 3.20 120GB is also much lower than the Kingston V300 120GB, a new product that uses Toshiba 19nm Toggle flash.
We observed the same thing with the write performance. The 3.20 did very well at its peak, but the low and average results were down quite a bit compared to most everything else on the chart.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
In this test the drive is no longer is a FOB state because we've written a significant portion of the drive with random data. This test also uses 128K blocks, HD Tune Pro runs 64K blocks. You can see on this graph that used blocks only make a small portion of the drive since the SandForce architecture compresses data before it hits the flash.
That means you tell the drive to write a fixed amount of data, but the controller doesn't pass all that data long as you transmitted it. As you know, when NAND has data residing on the flash it slows so this method keeps the SSD running faster for a longer period of time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [OCZ Vertex 3.20 120GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance