OCZ's Vertex 3.20 240GB is a bit of a mixed bag at this time. While you can still find them, I would choose an original Vertex 3 over the .20 option. The original ships with a better accessory package and performs better. If you can get OCZ firmware 2.25 on a drive then is even better. Vertex 3.20 ships with firmware 2.30 and we can tell it's based on LSI's 5-Series firmware so it's a bit slower.
Vertex 3.20 is a bit slower than the original as well in the flash department. The 240GB version isn't really that much different, a couple percent here and there compared to the 25nm model. I don't think anyone will really notice a big difference running real-world tasks even with two identical systems side by side. In a couple of days we'll have a look at the 120GB model and the same can't be said for that capacity size.
At the time of writing Vertex 3.20 still has its 'new' product price at Newegg. Other SandForce based drives like Vertex 3, Chronos DX and so on have come down from their introductory price. With Vertex 3.20 240GB costing over $200 and a handful of faster 25nm drives hanging between $170 to $185, there isn't really a reason to consider Vertex 3.20 at this stage. As it normally does, the introductory price will dissolve and then we will see the true Newegg price of this drive. In order to recommend the Vertex 3.20 240GB, the price is going to have to come down below $170, we would be happy at $150, but given the cost of flash, we're not even sure if that's possible.
Over time 25nm NAND will disappear. OCZ still needs 25nm for Vector production so it makes sense they moved Vertex 3.20 over to 20nm. Over time others will follow and move their existing products to 20nm.
Right now Vertex 3.20 isn't the best mainstream drive on the market, other SandForce based drives with 25nm are simply hard to beat. Once 25nm drive stock is sold and everyone is on 20nm, we'll take another look at Vertex 3.20, and see how it fits in. June or July would be a good time to take another look and see how the market sits at that time. OCZ is always on the cutting edge, but this time for them the edge was facing the wrong direction.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [OCZ Vertex 3.20 240GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20