Short and sweet, the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra core in all honesty is simply not up to the challenge compared to a much cheaper alternative, the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. While on paper the FX series looks the goods, its simply too complex to take advantage of any game that is here now and even for some time to come, and with product cycles lasting as long as they do today, its simply a big money drain for nVidia to keep this product up.
While the core was a disappointment, the card is a masterpiece of engineering, The cooling unit was fantastic, keeping very quiet and cooling extremely effective despite the lack of core overclocking, memory overclocking shows that this system can and does work.
The included VIVO system is pretty much the only saving grace this card can have for anyone wanting an FX, but with ATI looking at All-in-Wonder 9600 cards, the FX could soon be out of business.
Overall the cards poor performance overshadows its technically great cooling design.
Best cooling solution for FX based GPUs
Very quiet cooling
Great memory overclocking
Slower than cheaper Radeon competitor
Price/Performance ratio just not good
Rating - 6 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 2 [Specification]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 3 [Features]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark2001SE]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Detail]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 12 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Valve partners with Bitpay, with Bitcoin support now on Steam
- Intel no longer defines itself as a PC company, thinking more broadly
- Weekly Giveaway: Win a ZOTAC SONIX PCIe 480GB SSD (Global Entry!)
- Facebook, Messenger, Instagram apps debut on Windows 10
- Fallout 4 Steam patch adds Survival difficulty, improves performance
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- 1MORE Swarovski Crystal Piston Earphones Review
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched