Short and sweet, the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra core in all honesty is simply not up to the challenge compared to a much cheaper alternative, the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. While on paper the FX series looks the goods, its simply too complex to take advantage of any game that is here now and even for some time to come, and with product cycles lasting as long as they do today, its simply a big money drain for nVidia to keep this product up.
While the core was a disappointment, the card is a masterpiece of engineering, The cooling unit was fantastic, keeping very quiet and cooling extremely effective despite the lack of core overclocking, memory overclocking shows that this system can and does work.
The included VIVO system is pretty much the only saving grace this card can have for anyone wanting an FX, but with ATI looking at All-in-Wonder 9600 cards, the FX could soon be out of business.
Overall the cards poor performance overshadows its technically great cooling design.
Best cooling solution for FX based GPUs
Very quiet cooling
Great memory overclocking
Slower than cheaper Radeon competitor
Price/Performance ratio just not good
Rating - 6 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 2 [Specification]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 3 [Features]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark2001SE]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Detail]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 12 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GeForce GT 1030 to cost $80, will compete against RX 550
- 'Kingsman' sequel releases first explosive trailer
- Intel's new Xeon rocks 28C/56T, costs over $12,000
- George Miller still planning two 'Mad Max' sequels
- Call of Duty WWII creatively strips players of power
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives
- Call of Duty: WWII delivers gripping action on global scale
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design