Short and sweet, the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra core in all honesty is simply not up to the challenge compared to a much cheaper alternative, the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. While on paper the FX series looks the goods, its simply too complex to take advantage of any game that is here now and even for some time to come, and with product cycles lasting as long as they do today, its simply a big money drain for nVidia to keep this product up.
While the core was a disappointment, the card is a masterpiece of engineering, The cooling unit was fantastic, keeping very quiet and cooling extremely effective despite the lack of core overclocking, memory overclocking shows that this system can and does work.
The included VIVO system is pretty much the only saving grace this card can have for anyone wanting an FX, but with ATI looking at All-in-Wonder 9600 cards, the FX could soon be out of business.
Overall the cards poor performance overshadows its technically great cooling design.
Best cooling solution for FX based GPUs
Very quiet cooling
Great memory overclocking
Slower than cheaper Radeon competitor
Price/Performance ratio just not good
Rating - 6 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 2 [Specification]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 3 [Features]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark2001SE]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Detail]
- Chaintech Apogee FX71 - Page 12 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Faraday Future stops factory construction to afford CES
- Switch's paid online is made to attract third-party devs
- Samsung smartwatches now compatible with iOS devices
- The new Zelda game takes up nearly half Switch's storage
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 900p docked, 720p undocked
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99