At $279.99 the HIS HD 7850 iPower IceQ Turbo 4GB is the most expensive HD 7850 card available at Newegg. At the same time it's also the only card to offer 4GB of GDDR5 - all the others offer 2GB. We're not the biggest fan of huge amounts of memory on video cards. Previous testing has shown that 6GB versions of the higher end HD 7970 really offer nothing over the standard 3GB versions.
With that being said we won't ever deny that there's no market for larger memory versions of video card models. Double the amount of memory on the HIS HD 7850 iPower IceQ Turbo 4GB is a nice addition. If you're happy to spend the extra money and like to know that you're packing a massive 4GB of GDDR5 on your HD 7850, then go for it.
The 4GB GDDR5 makes this an attractive card and something that will grab your attention. Everything else involved makes it a fantastic card, too. The 1000MHz core clock means that out of the box we've got some fantastic performance. That overclock helps push our numbers up to 60 FPS a number of times - a number that wouldn't be reached on a stock clocked card.
The cooler is awesome. We'd expect nothing less from a card sporting the IceQ name. Not only does it manage to keep the core running at an extremely good temperature at both idle and load, but it also manages to do that with some awesome noise levels that put the card towards the bottom of the pack, an area you want to be in, when it comes to noise and temperature.
iPower clearly works as well. Looking at the power graphs you can see some great numbers again with idle and load numbers looking extremely impressive on the HIS video card here today.
In typical HIS fashion they've managed to put together a really strong card that performs in all the right areas. The 4GB of GDDR5 is a nice addition, but it doesn't do a whole lot extra for performance as games continue to struggle hitting 2GB of memory usage. In the end, though, this is a card that we'd recommend to someone in a heartbeat if it falls within their budget.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- OnePlus teases the OnePlus 5 color options
- ISS crew on an urgent spacewalk after equipment failure
- Far Cry 5 may have exclusive content on PS4
- Meizu launches new mid-range smartphone - the M5c
- Carl Pei hints that OnePlus 5 might keep headphone jack
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning