While NVIDIA has recently released the new single GPU Titan at a massive price point, the bread and butter for most companies continues to be the mid-range market. With AMD not doing a whole lot over the past few months, it's safe to say that one partner has refused to just sit back and relax.
HIS has released an absolute wealth of video cards lately and today we're looking at yet another new one. The HIS HD 7850 iPower IceQ Turbo 4GB brings with it twice as much memory as the standard HD 7850. They've also brought the iPower name into the product name, which is something (the lack of promotion) that had been bugging us since its introduction recently.
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot more that needs to be said for the most part. The HD 7850 is a model we well and truly know, instead we really just want to get in and take a closer look at what we're dealing with here today.
As always there are a few things we need to do before we get into the performance side of things. The first is we'll take the time to have a look at the package along with the bundle HIS is offering. Once we've done that we'll move onto the card itself and quickly cover the main specifications. From there we'll take a quick look at our testbed, talk about the card you'll see in our graphs today and then head straight into the performance side of things.
As someone who has seen dozens of HIS boxes over the years, I have to say the first thing that stood out for us was the new iPower logo at the top of the box. The iPower feature was introduced recently and brought with it some improvements in the power delivery. In this case the HIS HD 7850 iPower IceQ Turbo 4GB brings a 5+1+1+1 PWM phase setup instead of the standard 4+1+1+1 setup. We've also got a 2 Oz copper layer instead of a 1 Oz one and a Dr. Mos Mosfet setup. The problem was that while a number of the new cards we've looked at featured iPower, none of them actually made mention that the feature was included. That's why it's nice to see HIS add it to the box of this new card.
Apart from that you can see a number of the standard logos and names we're used to see including IceQ and Turbo. Across the bottom we've got the model and you can also see some of the main features are highlighted. In this case one of the major ones is of course the 4GB of GDDR5 memory that is included.
If we turn over and look at the back of the box you can see some of the main features are explained in a bit of detail including what the IceQ name brings to the table along with the iPower benefits. You can see we've also got a bunch of logos and awards across the bottom of the box.
Moving inside the box we've got a very typical HIS bundle. We've got a driver CD, manual and case sticker along with a DVI to VGA connector and CrossFire bridge to round out the bundle. It's not only a fairly standard bundle from HIS, but just a fairly standard bundle period, as we see most companies offer a similar kind of deal these days.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.