Even though we already reviewed the Plextor M5 Pro, we're still going to score it again today. Quite a bit has changed since its release and our initial review. The new firmware has increased the performance in a number of areas and the price has dropped a bit as well.
The only down side is the availability. There are only a few of these drives left for sale because Plextor has already ramped up production of the new model with the latest 19nm Toshiba Toggle NAND. Those with an eagle eye already compared the new Xtreme to the original Pro since the data made it into the charts today. In many of the tests the old M5 Pro with the Xtreme firmware update performed just as well as the new M5 Xtreme. What we don't know is the price of the new Xtreme model.
With the M5 Pro 256GB selling today for $209.99 and the Xtreme price unknown, the last few Pro models may be a better value. We really can't say though because Newegg and Google came up empty on the Xtreme price.
Don't count the Xtreme off your list just yet, though. We didn't touch on it much in this review, but in a few days we'll discuss the new features in the Xtreme programming that increases the garbage collection aggressiveness.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Plextor M5 Pro SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA announces conference on discovery beyond our System
- Samsung teases Exynos 9; it could power the Galaxy S8
- Spectacles are finally available for online purchase
- Moto G5 and G5 Plus specs leak ahead of the launch
- HTC's new One X10 teased, a new budget 5.5-inch phone
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league