Even though we already reviewed the Plextor M5 Pro, we're still going to score it again today. Quite a bit has changed since its release and our initial review. The new firmware has increased the performance in a number of areas and the price has dropped a bit as well.
The only down side is the availability. There are only a few of these drives left for sale because Plextor has already ramped up production of the new model with the latest 19nm Toshiba Toggle NAND. Those with an eagle eye already compared the new Xtreme to the original Pro since the data made it into the charts today. In many of the tests the old M5 Pro with the Xtreme firmware update performed just as well as the new M5 Xtreme. What we don't know is the price of the new Xtreme model.
With the M5 Pro 256GB selling today for $209.99 and the Xtreme price unknown, the last few Pro models may be a better value. We really can't say though because Newegg and Google came up empty on the Xtreme price.
Don't count the Xtreme off your list just yet, though. We didn't touch on it much in this review, but in a few days we'll discuss the new features in the Xtreme programming that increases the garbage collection aggressiveness.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Plextor M5 Pro SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- Fable Legends will use foliage physics to increase visual fidelity
- AMD: GPUOpen could be used for smartphone, tablet graphics
- Galaxy S7 battery said to last two days on single charge
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform