Even though we already reviewed the Plextor M5 Pro, we're still going to score it again today. Quite a bit has changed since its release and our initial review. The new firmware has increased the performance in a number of areas and the price has dropped a bit as well.
The only down side is the availability. There are only a few of these drives left for sale because Plextor has already ramped up production of the new model with the latest 19nm Toshiba Toggle NAND. Those with an eagle eye already compared the new Xtreme to the original Pro since the data made it into the charts today. In many of the tests the old M5 Pro with the Xtreme firmware update performed just as well as the new M5 Xtreme. What we don't know is the price of the new Xtreme model.
With the M5 Pro 256GB selling today for $209.99 and the Xtreme price unknown, the last few Pro models may be a better value. We really can't say though because Newegg and Google came up empty on the Xtreme price.
Don't count the Xtreme off your list just yet, though. We didn't touch on it much in this review, but in a few days we'll discuss the new features in the Xtreme programming that increases the garbage collection aggressiveness.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Plextor M5 Pro SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE's new Z270X-Designare looks absolutely AMAZING
- Set sail with 'Moana' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway!
- MSI makes its GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X official
- StarCraft remastered announced by Blizzard
- The first sign of Kaby Lake X: the Intel Core i7-7740K
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Just finished my PC-011 Build
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Kong: Skull Island Movie Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse