Temperatures, Cooling and Noise
Origin has packed lots of computing power into the EON17-S and has even gone as far as to overclock the already powerful and power hungry hardware. This means they have a lot of heat to deal with and the results show that they do an elegant job of this in some respects.
The EON17-S does a great job of keeping the heat away from the user, an important aspect when someone is going to be gaming on this machine for hours at a time. It's especially important to keep the heat away from the keyboard.
As you can see, on the front of the system, we logged a maximum temperature of 93 degrees Fahrenheit. It should be noted that this max temperature was located directly over the WASD keys.
Moving around to the back side, temperatures were higher. The maximum observed temperature was 97 degrees Fahrenheit. While you probably don't want prolonged exposure to your skin at that temperature, this machine certainly shouldn't have any issues being used on a lap if it's not fully loaded.
The maximum observed GPU temperature was 81 degrees Celsius, a temperature well within the limits for a video card. The CPU reached a maximum of 103 degrees Celsius. At this temperature, the chip starts to throttle performance so as to not destroy itself. However, most games won't be stressing the CPU nearly as hard as Prime95, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
The EON17-S produced a sound level of 53 decibels in our measurement. This is the loudest system we've tested. Our measurement is taken in front of the laptop at roughly head level. For comparison, 30dB is a totally quiet night time in the desert, 40dB is whispering, and 60dB is a normal conversation.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Tesla's Model 3 priced as low as $25,000 after tax subsidies in the US
- Fuel cell maker teases 7-day battery life on smartphones inevitable
- Uber drops its 5% fee in London, to get taxi drivers using Uber
- Micron updates GDDR5X progression, volume production this summer
- Oculus Rift-ready gaming PC pre-orders will open on February 16
- Cougar 450M Ambidextrous Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance