Micron is working to diversify itself from a memory-only company as they move further into the SSD market. With an increasingly diverse portfolio of consumer and enterprise storage solutions, Micron continues to push this evolution to the next level.
The most critical aspect of any storage solution is the protection of user data. Equipment failures and loss of data can result in array rebuilds and system downtime. In many cases, failures can even lead to excessive use of internal data networks as administrators clamor to restore snapshots. Data loss or equipment failure is always costly in one form or another, no matter the circumstances.
In enterprise environments reliability is the most sought after characteristic of any component, trumping overall performance in all but niche applications. These niche deployments, a very small percentage of the overall pie, are increasingly moving to utilizing PCIe application accelerators for the ultimate in performance. The majority of SSD deployments in the datacenter revolve around the traditional 2.5-inch form factor SSDs. For mainstream enterprise applications, the real focus is not king-of-the-hill specifications, but enhanced reliability, consistent performance and endurance.
The Micron P400m exhibited consistent performance and the 10DWPD of endurance provides users with a durable SSD. The low power requirements of the P400m lend itself well to managing long-term TCO. The power consumption of the P400m easily bests any HDD, and many SSDs, on the market.
One area of improvement that we would like to see is toolbox functionality for customers. Providing SMART data and drive management tools in an easy to use solution would be a value added proposition for customers. Micron captured this with the Real SSD Manager for the P320h, but as of yet does not offer this type of utility for their traditional form factor SSDs.
Micron has provided an almost bulletproof data protection solution with the combination of techniques utilized in its XPERT technology suite. Several internal mechanisms work to provide increased endurance, but Micron takes it a step further by employing their RAIN solution. This provides data redundancy at the device level, providing yet another safety net in the event of an uncorrectable error.
While RAIN does require more space to utilize its parity scheme, Micron has employed a staggering 70% overprovisioning with the P400m. Micron has integrated more techniques and IP into the SSD aimed at providing redundancy and full data path protection than many mainstream enterprise SSDs we have tested.
The Micron P400m is already qualified at major OEMs and is already available for purchase. Micron backs the P400m up with a five year warranty. While there are certainly faster options, for SATA deployments where protecting data is the top priority, we expect many to choose the Micron P400m and its brilliant XPERT technology.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Raspberry Pi Zero is a $5 programmable computer
- ASUS celebrates 20 years of making GPUs with GTX 980 Ti Golden Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront PC player count is poor, dominated by Fallout 4
- AMD rumored to launch its dual-GPU next month, the Radeon R9 Fury X2
- India's Cochin International airport runs 100% on solar power
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader
- MSI Announces ECO Series Socket LGA1151 Motherboards
- Mionix Announces New-generation SARGAS Mousepad Family