Not long ago we published our 840 Pro 128GB review and compared it heavily to OCZ's Vector 128GB. In that review we gave a solid thumbs up to Vector in that capacity size. When it comes to the 256GB capacity size things are quite a bit different. Here the nod goes to Samsung and the 840 Pro.
To break it all down let's look at the price first. Vector is $269 and 840 Pro is $249, a difference of $20. It isn't a whole lot, but it's enough to make a judgment on. Both of these drives were very close in our standard SSD review tests so to break the tie we pulled a new test out of our NAS server - advanced fill testing. When we looked at each of these drives, both filled with 206GB of data on them, 840 Pro was the clear winner. I guess you could call it overtime but extended play or not, 840 Pro 256GB is faster when it needed to be... but there is still a last shot of hope for Vector and it's only there because Samsung left the door open.
Desktop users only apply to this - OCZ includes a desktop adapter bracket, a nice plus if your case doesn't have a native 2.5" drive bay. Looking at the accessory package, both drives have a five year warranty, both include data migration software, both have easy firmware updates, but Samsung's software does cover more automated tasks than OCZ's. For desktop users, the adapter bracket is nice.
Notebook users, you care about power, I know... I'm on a notebook more than any other computer in the house. The ten extra minutes in my test scales when your notebook delivers more than 300 minutes (five hours) of battery power. We use a 6-cell battery because donating five hours to one test is already extreme. If you use a 9-cell battery or a 10-hour ultrabook those ten minutes will scale to a larger margin of victory for the 840 Pro. The difference could be as high as an hour with a power-optimized notebook, 11 hours instead of 10. For notebook users the extra battery time is just as important as a desktop adapter bracket for desktop users.
The fastest 256GB consumer SSD on the market goes to the 840 Pro. In a couple of weeks we'll compare the 512GB models and do this all over again. Who knows, we may have something even faster in as well by that time from another company.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft has reportedly fired 60 engineers working on HoloLens
- Recreational drone literally pokes UK toddler's eye out
- Nintendo NX has a 60% chance at succeeding, says analyst
- iPad Pro chip A9X broken down, specs revealed
- AMD Crimson driver causing fan issues, hotfix incoming
- Gigsbyte motherboard supprt problem
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- Star Wars Battlefront PlayStation 4 Review
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis