Last year we got the chance to check out the latest CPU and APU offerings from AMD. The AMD FX-8350 and A10-5800K both did a good job of impressing us relatively well, but we knew that both models would be plagued with the same issues AMD have always been plagued with. The lack of marketing behind both processors mean that they would fall under the blue limelight of the king, Intel.
After having a look at both models we then took the time to check out the GIGABYTE F2A85X-UP4 and saw that when it came to the overclocking side of things on normal everyday coolers that the results weren't fantastic. Looking around, though, and talking to other editors, we knew it wasn't us and our fairly limited 4.5GHz overclock on the A10-5800K was standard.
A month on, though, we've got some new boards and some updated BIOS's to play around with. We wonder if anything has changed in that time. We've seen some amazing numbers come out of the latest AMD CPU's when it comes to pure speed, but they're all based on extreme LN2 cooling. Today we'll take the time to check out an ASRock FM2 offering in the form of the FM2A85X Extreme6 motherboard.
What has ASRock brought to the FM2 table? Well, there's only one way to find out and the first thing we'll do is check out the package. Once we've done that we'll move onto the board itself before checking out the BIOS and the options that are on offer there. We'll then look at our testbed and cover the overclocking side of things before we finally get into the meat of it all and find out how performance looks.
Looking at the box it's just that typical ASRock design with a large focus being on the XFast technology that the company has implemented for a while now. Turning the box over we go into some more details in regards to the features which include Premium Gold Caps, Digi Power and 8+2 Power Phase Design.
Along with that, though, we've got other features like Lucid Virtu MVP, XFast technology which we mentioned at the start, Fast Boot, UEFI BIOS and DDR3 2600+ support via overclocking. The big feature pushed on the back, though, is none of these and is instead the new X-Boost technology that's shown up at the top of the box.
We don't know a whole lot about this new feature and we won't go into too much detail here since we'll take a closer look at it when we move to the overclocking side of things. Looking above, though, you can see that the general feel is that it's an easy to use overclocking solution.
Moving to the inside of the box there's nothing too unusual going on with the contents. We've got the normal paperwork along with some information on Lucid Virtu MVP and XFast technology. We've also got a driver CD, I/O backplate and four SATA cables.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Faraday Future car will have cameras instead of mirrors
- SpaceX's December launch postponed until early January
- Huawei will unveil their concept phone on December 16th
- Cassini shows first images of Saturn from new orbit
- Doom update adds Infernal Run mode, multiplayer bots
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD
- Jonsbo announces QT03A and VR2 cases, and FR-101 fan series
- Cooler Master announces the MasterCase Maker 5T
- be quiet! announces the Dark Base Pro 900 case with tempered glass window side panel