After putting the SilverStone PSU through our little meat grinder, we can see that it was able to come out still standing. While the 3.3v and 12v rails were down just a bit under the stress, the levels were not so low that it would have trouble handling a majority of loads that it would be expected to do. Heavy lighting effects would stagger it, but this would be the case with nearly any power supply on the market.
I'm not thrilled with the combined supplemental power leads, but this will be something that must be considered by each individual. My main concern with this was having to find a place to tuck the unused power lead. I generally use a zip-tie to keep all unused wires out of the way, but this one will be planted down next to whichever power lead in needed for your system.
As far as Molex connectors are concerned, five is simply too few! Even with daisy-chaining a lot of fans together, I still had to get a splitter to be able to use all of the peripherals and fans within the test system. A minimum number of Molex connectors should be six, with eight being preferable.
Price-wise the SST-ST400 has a suggested retail price of about US$75, so it is right in the middle of what most comparable power supplies cost. Considering the quiet operation and the sleek appearance, this isn't too bad a price tag at all. And remember, this is the MSRP as listed by the manufacturer. While suppliers are limited at the moment, the prices will come down when they get into the hands of retailers. This is a simple fact of economics.
Bottom line...If you're in the market for a new power supply and have need of plenty of voltage to all power rails, then the SilverStone may be just in line for your needs. BUT, take a good look at your needs. If you're looking at building that modded case with lots of fans and fancy lights, then make sure that this unit will suit your needs with only five Molex connectors.
Workable power levels
Very good looks
Too few Molex connectors
Shared harness for supplemental connectors
Rating - 8/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture Oscar in huge screw up
- Switch handheld battery lasts over 3 hours playing Zelda
- Hack 'Mr Robot' and win a Season 2 Blu-ray on us!
- Samsung teases the Galaxy S8 and confirms launch date
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 with stylus introduced at MWC
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity
- Razer releases power bank smart charge mobile accessory
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand