Architecture and Management
One of the keys to Micron's success with the P320h is the lack of bridging chips or hardware. The architecture combines all 64 placements of NAND into 32 channels, with no intermediary SSD controllers or RAID controllers. Several types of solutions on the market today have SSD controllers onboard the PCB and these in turn feed the RAID controller. Micron simplifies the design, minimizing the amount of hardware and maximizing latency and throughput performance to the controller.
The Micron-developed ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) controller provides an embedded ATA host bus adapter, a host/flash translation later, flash maintenance, channel control and a NAND RAID (RAIN) protection scheme. This streamlined architecture also dispels clunky non-native interfaces, which tend to become the slow point in many solutions. Translating protocols from SAS or SATA to PCIe tends to incur latency penalties that are not a factor with the P320h, which enjoys native PCIe technology.
The IDT 89HF3208 controller is a 1517 pin FCBGA (Flip Chip Ball Grid Array) which handles 32 channels, supporting four-way interleaving up to 128 NAND dice. The functions of the SSD are all handled on-die to minimize host overhead.
The P320h features three interrupt coalescing settings to allow users to tailor the SSD to their workloads. This allows issuance of more than one I/O during each interrupt to boost performance in heavy workloads. This feature leads to some interesting results later in the review when the drive is under very heavy load. An additional coalescence setting provides more optimized performance for a low QD environment.
The RealSSD P320h is managed through the RealSSD Manager utility. This easy to use GUI makes management of the drive very easy. The RSSDM simplifies many processes such as secure erasing, temperature monitoring, firmware updates and coalescing settings. The utility also provides device monitoring and allows users to graph the read and write throughput and temperature. There is also access to the SMART data for the drive, which allows users to predict the expected lifetime of the device. Micron also provides a CLI utility, which is handy for those that are using servers without graphical interfaces.
Many of the competing application accelerators on the market do not include such refined management tools, though this one does lack remote management capability it still takes a big lead over many of Micron's competitors.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Product Positioning and Data Protection]
- Page 3 [Architecture and Management]
- Page 4 [Micron P320h]
- Page 5 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 6 [4K Random Read/Write]
- Page 7 [8K Random Read/Write]
- Page 8 [128K Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 9 [OLTP and Webserver]
- Page 10 [Fileserver and Emailserver]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The young Han Solo spin-off is a go, as Lucasfilm find their actor
- AMD's new Zen CPU will arrive in 6 and 8-core versions at launch
- iPhone 7 could have a 3.5mm headphone jack after all
- Doom PC specs released, takes up 50GB on PS4 and Xbox One
- Overwatch beta goes live on all platforms
- H97MPro4 - Machine mysteriously turns back on in Win7
- Windows 10 install - Raid 0 SSDs
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Slim Drive 2TB USB C Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R won't post
- Creative iRoar Intelligent Bluetooth Speaker Review
- Turtle Beach reinvents eSports gaming headsets with the Elite Pro
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini