Since we are doing a direct comparison between the Radeon 9700 Pro and this 128MB version of the 9800 Pro, I went ahead and retested the older board on a fresh install of Windows to make sure that we would have accurate results. While the Sapphire 9700 Pro board is certainly still serviceable as a high-end graphics choice, it is nearly impossible to find one retail anymore. With a sticker price in the same neighborhood, we are looking to see if it is worth the effort to look at this model of 9800 Pro, as an alternative choice. Sure you can get the fancy 256MB version, but that will set you back nearly US$500!
Before we delve into a bunch of test results, let's take a look at the system we used for the comparison.
Test System Setup
Motherboard: Soltek 75MRN-L (Supplied by Soltek)
Processor: AMD Athlon XP Thoroughbred @ 2034MHz
Memory: 2x 512MB Crucial PC2700 DDR
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB "SE"
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP1
Drivers Used: ATI Catalyst 3.6
Software Used: 3DMark2001SE, 3DMark03, Quake III Arena and Code Creatures
I decided to use a couple of older benchmarks and a couple of newer ones to give a more rounded view of the performance level when compared to the last generation 9700 Pro. All system settings were identical for the testing phase and ambient temperatures were also the same. Since both video boards weigh in with 128MB of DDR memory, the only real difference will be the core design. Yes, memory speeds will be a bit different, but these tests will be run at default speeds.
Also of note is the fact that I wanted to see how these boards compared at different resolutions. I ran all of the standard battery of tests at resolutions of 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1600x1200. Color depth was set to 32-bit for all tests to keep things on the same level throughout testing. I decided to stay away from ultra-low settings since it is unlikely that we would even think of really playing a game at this low level of performance. After all, why chuck out good money for a video board and then play it at settings that were popular five years ago?
So how does the new kid on the block stack up with a past winner? Let's find out!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 3 [What You Get]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 4 [The Board]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 5 [Silent Cooling]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Testing Information]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Anti-Aliasing]
- Sapphire 9800 Pro - Page 12 [Overclocking and Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei launches new nova 2 with dual rear camera
- Nintendo shares skyrocket to 8-year high
- Alienware Aurora reach reasonable price for Memorial Day
- GTA Online earns big for Take-Two
- Red Dead Redemption 2 built from scratch for consoles
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017