Features of the Tyan Tachyon G9600 Pro
Package and Contents
Tyan uses a rather compact box for the 9600 Pro, basically the exact same as the 9500 Pro, which suggests more towards the budget with not too many bells and whistles. One noteworthy feature is that Tyan prints the core and memory speed on the front of the box so you know how fast you card is running before you buy it. On the 9600 Pro, the core is specified at 400MHz with a memory speed of 600MHz.
The card comes with the standard DVI, VGA, and TV-Out connectors. There is a Tachyon Graphics Monitor manual included as well as a Tachyon Graphics Line quick installation guide. They even have a complete user's guide. The CD includes Catalyst Driver version 3.2 and control panel along with DirectX 8.1b. WinDVD 4.0 is also included on the CD. A power cable is also provided if you need to split power off from a device for this card.
The Card and Core
The design of the Tachyon 9600 Pro is almost identical to that of the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro PCB, Tyan changes only one thing; the PCB color - a 4-layer dark blue PCB with a light blue Heatsink and fan combination.
ATI's replacement for the 9500 VPU is the new 9600 and 9600 Pro. This VPU differs slightly in internal features compared to the 9500 Pro. These include the following:
- 4 parallel rendering pipelines
- 2 parallel geometry engines
- 128-bit DDR memory interface
- AGP 8X support
Programmable pixel and vertex shaders
16 textures per pass
Pixel shaders up to 160 instructions with 128-bit floating point precision
Vertex shaders up to 1024 instructions with flow control
Multiple render target support
Shadow volume rendering acceleration
High precision 10-bit per channel frame buffer support
Supports DirectX 9.0 and the latest version of OpenGL
2x/4x/6x full scene anti-aliasing modes
Adaptive algorithm with programmable sample patterns
2x/4x/8x/16x anisotropic filtering modes
Adaptive algorithm with bi-linear (performance) and tri-linear (quality) options
HYPER Z III+
Lossless Z-Buffer compression (up to 24:1)
Fast Z-Buffer Clear
2nd generation N-Patch higher order surface support
Discrete and continuous tessellation levels per polygon
Seamless integration of pixel shaders with video
FULLSTREAM video de-blocking technology
Noise removal filtering for captured video
MPEG-2 decoding with motion compensation, iDCT and color space conversion
All-format DTV/HDTV decoding
YPrPb component output*
Adaptive de-interlacing and frame rate conversion
Dual integrated display controllers
Dual integrated 10-bit per channel 400 MHz DACs
Integrated 165 MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI 1.0 compliant)
Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768 resolution
Optimized for Pentium 4 SSE2 and AMD Athlon 3Dnow!
PC 2002 compliant
As we can see, there are a few minor differences in technical specifications. The most notable is the look and feel of the core. First off, the die shim that was on the 9500 and 9700 series that caused some cooling issues with 3rd party coolers has been removed. This now allows for direct cooling to the die of the VPU. The core speed has been increased from 300MHz over the 9500 to 400MHz of the 9600 Pro.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 3 [Features]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark2001SE]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Tyan 9600 Pro - Page 12 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Razer announces a new customizable Xbox One controller for $150
- Secure, Powerful Hard Drive Storage for 20% Off
- Turtle Beach shows off Star Wars Battlefront-themed headphones
- Head of Islamic State Cyber Caliphate killed by drone strike
- Scosche launches the boomBOTTLE+ waterproof Bluetooth speaker
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20