It's come to my attention that more than a few of you aren't ready to go back to paying more than $250 for an SSD. I get it, I really do. Low cost LSI SandForce controllers and OCZ itself pushed SSD prices so low that anything over $1 per GB seems excessive. Over the last couple of months a handful of premium SSDs hit the market and pricing has crept back up to 2011 levels. The higher prices have led to an outcry for us to get back into testing smaller capacity units, an area we started to get away from in 2012.
The move back into smaller capacity sizes caught some companies off guard since most of the industry shifted to cover the 256GB capacity size or larger. So, instead of waiting for the industry to catch up we stepped up to deliver what you asked for, next gen SSD reviews in lower capacity size. In order to decrease the latency we went out and purchased the OCZ Vector 128GB on our own.
Today we're looking at the new Indilinx Barefoot 3 controlled Vector 128GB in a different light. This is a product purchased with my money and it was my time waiting for it to arrive. Today's article isn't just a review, but a look at the whole experience starting from the initial purchase to the excitement of loading the drive in my computer.
Today I'll be the judge and I want you to participate as the jury. At the bottom of every page is a comment section. Give your two cents, chime in with your thoughts, and let us know what you want to see. This month I'm putting the final details on some new benchmarks that'll make it into all of the SSD reviews in 2013; you'll get introduced to another new one today. Make sure you give us your feedback and be heard at the end of the review.
Our OCZ Vector 128GB was purchased at Newegg on 12/4/12 for $159.99 and we upgraded the shipping to UPS Ground 3-Day for an additional 1.99. Newegg shipped the drive on December 5th and it arrived around Noon December 7th.
Let's take a look at the specifications and then see what arrived in the package.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [OCZ Vector 128GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Early Access games dominate Steam game sales in 2015
- Report: Mega Man movie gets greenlit by Fox
- We Heard You Like Discounts
- Acer's new 10-core smartphone will 'dominate' Android gaming
- The first big patch for Windows 10 is coming soon
- TP-LINK Archer C3200 Tri-Band AC3200 Wireless Router Review
- Does my motherbord support this RAM ?
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015