The SMART Optimus sets a standard with an approach that we expect to see much more of in the future. The future of SSD flash management is going to lean heavily towards adaptive flash interaction and DSP technologies. Dynamically learning from and adjusting the very NAND itself over the lifetime of the SSD brings unbelievable endurance from standard MLC. The exponential endurance gains from this type of technology are sure to be utilized among a wide variety of vendors as time progresses.
SMART feels like they are ahead of the game in this respect, helping to pioneer the technology has given them a great position early. Developing IP and already holding several patents in this arena serves to provide them the high ground in the high endurance MLC field.
With new higher-endurance versions of the SMART Optimus already in the pipeline, SMART is poised to deliver SLC-like endurance at close to MLC price points. The new Optimus Ultra+ is capable of a shocking 50 Drive Writes Per Day (DWPD) from simple everyday MLC NAND. This is approaching SLC endurance levels, according to our rough math this is nearly 90,000 IOPS from MLC NAND.
Providing SLC-like endurance from MLC NAND sounds like a magic trick or marketing hype at its finest. Breaking it down and looking at the various technologies that SMART has developed with the Guardian Technology Platform helps to understand the methods taken to ensure data reliability in the long run. Pairing these ultra-endurance parts with enterprise-class features and performance is important. The SMART Optimus delivers blazing speeds that are remarkably consistent in our test regimen. We observed very little variability in the course of our testing.
Dual Port SAS brings deployments into High-Availability environments into the picture, and the active-active dual port functionality provides up to 1GB/s from a single SSD. SAS also brings the advantages of the SCSI command set, which allows seamless use when pairing these SSDs with HBAs and other SCSI devices.
The 10 DWPD endurance offered by the Optimus is backed up with a five year warranty. Perhaps most impressive is the fact that SMART designs their SSDs to operate within 1% of performance variability over the service life of the device.
Several sales wins have brought the Optimus into the limelight. RAID, Inc. has recently integrated the Optimus into its EBOD Storage Solution touting 1 million IOPS and X-IO is integrating the SSD into the Hyper ISE 7-Series. Expect SMART to continue to develop the Optimus line extensively into the future. In concert with their extensive Tier-1 OEM customers, the Optimus should enjoy great success in the market.
With its innovative new approaches to adaptive flash management and increased endurance, we give the Optimus the TweakTown Editor's Choice Award.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Titanfall 2 blog detailed the items of the in-game store
- AMD performance issues in Darksiders Warmastered fixed
- Microsoft testing Gears of War 4 PC, console crossplay
- Final Fantasy XV ships five million units in first day
- SSD costs expected to rise by 6-10% in early 2017
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair