Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are higher than that of the Corsair AX760 power supply, we can test it to the maximum.
The above tests represent typical loads that we have measured from various systems and are meant to give a rough idea of where your computer might fall in line with our tests. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware.
As usual, we start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well the unit performed during testing. Looking at the 12V rail, we see that the voltage stayed within 1% throughout all the tests with a total voltage drop of .06. The 5V rail managed to do just the same, staying within 1% and having a total voltage drop of .03 from start to finish. Rounding out the voltage regulation tests, we find that the 3.3V rail was within 2% of specifications and had a total voltage drop of .03V
DC Output quality for the Corsair AX760 was great and well within specification. During Test 1, we saw 19mV of noise on our scope. When we increased the loads in Test 3, the ripple climbed to 24mV at a little overhalf load. During Test 5 under a load of 760W, the oscilloscope showed a maximum of 31mv on noise on the 12V rail.
The Corsair AX760 is rated for 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 90%/92%/89% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the AX760 passed on our bench and wasn't close to failing at any point.
The fan also performed just as Corsair said it would. The power supply operated in fanless mode until the power supply was at a load of about 530W and then it kicked on. Once it was operational, the fan was not audible over the rest of the test equipment.
It is very clear that Corsair knows exactly what enthusiasts want and need in a power supply. Their AXi series power supplies are a testament to this, but they don't stop there. Their attention to quality and detail carry over into other products and the new AX760 is a direct result of that quality and detail.
The AX760 power supply performed superbly through everything that we put it through. The voltage regulation offered is nothing short of spectacular, especially since things were so close to being within 1% of specification across the board.
The results for the DC output quality weren't quite as good as I had hope for, but are still excellent results, coming in with just over 30mV on the 12V rail. The AX760 is every bit of efficient as they claim it to be as well.
Add in the seven year warranty and you've got one heck of a package that is going to be hard to beat, and it is going to take a lower price point to do so. The price is also the one drawback to the Corsair AX760. At an MSRP of $199.99, it is quite pricey for a 700W-800W power supply, especially considering there are several other power supplies on the market with similar build quality and performance characteristics.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Last Guardian coming in 2016, new footage and screenshots released
- Become a certified Microsoft Office expert with this bundle
- See the cancelled Legacy of Kain game in action
- Ready At Dawn's new AAA action game to be revealed next week
- Here's everything we know about Ghost Recon Wildlands
- Amped Wireless Athena AC2600 RTA2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Router Review
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Asus S300CA screen flickering/stripes
- Colorful introduces first custom GTX1080: Colorful iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G
- CybertronPC offers new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics on all desktops
- Inno3D announces new GeForce GTX 1080 video cards
- Samsung Electronics expands 750 EVO SSD with worldwide availability and increases capacity to 500GB
- Free public gamer event E3 Live to debut in Los Angeles