Thecus N5550 NAS
If the N5550 looks familiar, that's because Thecus used the same case for a few other products as well. When we reviewed the N5500 in 2009 we found it to be an amazing NAS with best in class performance. The N5550 looks nearly identical on the outside, but has new 2012 features.
The front door hides the drive bays and makes the N5550 appealing for home users. Beyond the door we found the five drive bays, power and reset buttons. The N5550 also has a row of status LEDs along the top just about the single USB 3.0 port on the front.
At the bottom, Thecus has a status display panel with manual settings adjustments for some of the most used settings.
The N5550 can only use SATA drives; the backplane is not keyed for SAS connectors.
The side with a motherboard under the cover has an open vent to cool the components.
The opposite side appears open, but it's covered with a film on the inside.
The N5550 uses a large fan to cool the HDDs and the power supply has a fan as well. The system is quiet and you can use it on your desk if you need to have it close by your work space.
The internal power supply means you don't have to worry about an external power brick.
The N5550 has a microphone and line level input as well as line level output on the back. An eSATA connector is next two four USB 2.0 ports.
We've seen VGA connectors on NAS servers for years, but HDMI capability is new for 2012.
Dual gigabit Ethernet ports bridge the gap between a typical home NAS to a more powerful small business unit.
The cover comes off very easy with preinstalled thumb screws so you can easily upgrade the RAM inside the NAS.
Inside we found a single DOM and this nice little add on that's undocumented. It's an mSATA slot. This has me wondering if a Windows Home Server unit wasn't on the drawing board at some time.
The N5550 ships with 2GB of DDR3 RAM. This is twice what many of Thecus' competitors' uses in similarly priced units.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [Thecus N5550 NAS]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- iPhone 7 owners drill hole to find hidden headphone jack
- Google's 4K-ready Chromecast Ultra teased at just $69
- Microsoft rumored to launch Surface Phone in 2017
- Conjur up a free Blu-ray in our 'Conjuring 2' giveaway!
- Philadelphia 76ers acquire eSports teams Dignitas, Apex
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now