Thecus N5550 NAS
If the N5550 looks familiar, that's because Thecus used the same case for a few other products as well. When we reviewed the N5500 in 2009 we found it to be an amazing NAS with best in class performance. The N5550 looks nearly identical on the outside, but has new 2012 features.
The front door hides the drive bays and makes the N5550 appealing for home users. Beyond the door we found the five drive bays, power and reset buttons. The N5550 also has a row of status LEDs along the top just about the single USB 3.0 port on the front.
At the bottom, Thecus has a status display panel with manual settings adjustments for some of the most used settings.
The N5550 can only use SATA drives; the backplane is not keyed for SAS connectors.
The side with a motherboard under the cover has an open vent to cool the components.
The opposite side appears open, but it's covered with a film on the inside.
The N5550 uses a large fan to cool the HDDs and the power supply has a fan as well. The system is quiet and you can use it on your desk if you need to have it close by your work space.
The internal power supply means you don't have to worry about an external power brick.
The N5550 has a microphone and line level input as well as line level output on the back. An eSATA connector is next two four USB 2.0 ports.
We've seen VGA connectors on NAS servers for years, but HDMI capability is new for 2012.
Dual gigabit Ethernet ports bridge the gap between a typical home NAS to a more powerful small business unit.
The cover comes off very easy with preinstalled thumb screws so you can easily upgrade the RAM inside the NAS.
Inside we found a single DOM and this nice little add on that's undocumented. It's an mSATA slot. This has me wondering if a Windows Home Server unit wasn't on the drawing board at some time.
The N5550 ships with 2GB of DDR3 RAM. This is twice what many of Thecus' competitors' uses in similarly priced units.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [Thecus N5550 NAS]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 images leak ahead of launch at MWC
- Qualcomm leads 5G tech race, multi-Gbps speeds are close
- Qualcomm's new Snapdragon X20 LTE modem, up to 1.2Gbps
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X spotted in detail
- NVIDIA's next-gen Volta GPU turns up in latest drivers
- How can I Speedup Outlook 2010 Performance?
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league