Thecus 5-bay NAS units have always been an odd fit in the Thecus product family. The 4-bay N4800, the NAS we call the best consumer / SOHO NAS on the market today, offers more features, one less drive bay, but a higher price than the N5550.
Moving up the scale, Thecus has the N7510, a 7-bay unit that costs considerably more than the N5550. To help blur the product family, Thecus has three five bay units on its website and all three look nearly identical.
The N5550 uses an Intel Atom processor, but just as important, ships with 2GB of DDR3 RAM. Thecus also ships the N4800 with 2GB, twice as much DRAM as most products in its price category. The N5550 is also a price leader in the 5-bay market, but costs a little more than the N5200xxx and N5500, both from Thecus as well.
The extra expense isn't just a generation upgrade without additional features. The N5550 brings USB 3.0, HDMI output, twice the amount of DRAM and audio in/out capabilities.
Before we get too far into the specs, let's have a look at the spec list so I don't leave anything out.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [Thecus N5550 NAS]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Transition between zones 'is seamless' in The Division
- NVIDIA rumored to use GDDR5X on next-gen Pascal-based GPUs
- Halo 5 requires 60GB of HDD space on Xbox One
- Allison Road abandons Kickstarter, as it has found itself a publisher
- Check out this awesome 'Back to the Future' vinyl box set
- Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta GPU Performance Overview
- ASUS ZenBook Pro - ram
- Open Hour Gecko TV Box Review
- z87 killer no display after new installation ((URGENT))
- Z170 Raid Setup Post Win7x64 Install to M.2
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the NEW CRONOS AD Premium Gaming Headset
- Kingston Announces the HyperX Cloud Mav Edition Headset
- Super Talent Releases New 128GB USB 2.0 Pico C Drives
- EK Releases Full-coverage Water Block for Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD
- ASUSTOR Launches 31 Series, Economical and Powerful 4K Multimedia NAS