Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD
Here we get our first look at the Intel 335 Series. The familiar Intel curve is still on the front of the drive, but the label was moved to the back of the SSD.
The serial number, product number and capacity size are on the back label.
I really didn't expect Intel to ever release another 9.5mm z-height drive after marketing ultrabooks so heavily, but here we are with another 9.5mm drive that won't fit in your shiny new ultrabook computer.
All of the mounting points are where they should be and the SATA connectors are as well. The adapter bracket centers drive so the power and data connectors aren't in line with your 3.5" HDDs.
If you ever wanted to know what the inside looks like here is a quick shot. Intel uses a thermal pad on the LSI SandForce SF-2281 controller. A spacer inside fills a gap so Intel can use the same bottom half for 9.5mm and 7mm z-height SSDs.
The inside of the 335 looks about the same as the 330 Series other than the 20nm NAND flash.
There are sixteen chips, eight on each side and all the same density.
Intel's marketing page talks about reduced power consumption, but they chose not to roll SandForce's new lower power controller into the 335 Series. To be fair, no one that we know of has used B02 2281 into a retail product, but SandForce announced the new silicon months ago. We'll have a B02 prototype in hand later this week, but we're still working out the details on publishing performance numbers.
20nm flash makes its first appearance in a high profile retail SSD. The 335 Series uses NAND receiving a clock signal, often referred to as synchronous flash. A few months ago, we started measuring power usage and the lowest power SSDs have usually shipped with Toshiba Toggle Mode flash. 20nm is Intel's best shot at reducing power consumption with the aging LSI SandForce 2281 SSD controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Battlefield 4 'Summer update' arrives on September 1
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20