Looking above you can see our testbed so we won't go into too much detail. Instead we'll just get into the overclocking side of things. For almost the last 12 months our 3960X has been at the forefront of our main testbed which is used for video card reviews alongside quad channel memory reviews. It's been running at a solid 4.7GHz for literally hundreds and hundreds of hours working its way through everything from $100 video cards to multiple $1000 setups.
4.8GHz was the minimum we had hoped to get from the processor and around the 5GHz mark would've been what we really liked to see. We started at 5GHz by moving straight to a 50x multiplier and adjusting our voltages. While we managed to get into Windows we couldn't do much else. At this setting the system froze after idling for about a minute.
With that not working we headed back into the BIOS and spent some time adjusting the multiplier, voltages and BCLK to see if we could get a combination that would get us a stable 5GHz clock. While we managed to get a bit further than our system crashing after idling for a minute, we ultimately couldn't get 5GHz running 100% stable in any way with our standard cooling setup.
After a bunch of tinkering we ended up coming at just above 4.9GHz with a final clock of 4905MHz. Looking above you can see this was done with a combination of both the BCLK and the multiplier which comes in at just over 122 and 40 respectively.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- ARCHOS unveils the larger screened Diamond Plus smartphone
- Star Wars: Battlefront beta hits in October, features 20v20 chaos
- Get Ahead of the iOS 9 Curve: Create Your Own iPhone Apps
- NVIDIA secures 81% of the GPU market according to JPR
- eSports betting startup Unikrn gets backed by Ashton Kutcher
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- Im happy I now signed up
- ASUSTOR AS5004T Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- Gigabyte G1 z170 Gaming 7 motherboard.
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20