Any performance limits we found while testing the SanDisk Extreme 480GB are nullified by one simple fact - $359. That price makes the SanDisk Extreme 480GB SSD one of the lowest priced, high capacity SSDs on the market, and it's not even a drive with low performance asynchronous flash. It even costs less than the OCZ Agility 3 480GB, one of the lowest priced async flash drives currently listed at Newegg. SanDisk gets a really big thumbs up for the price.
In order to get to that price though SanDisk had to do two things. The first is co-owning the NAND flash factory. The price really shows the advantages of having your own fab. The second thing SanDisk had to do was skimp on the accessory package. This one has an effect on your user experience because you might need to buy a desktop adapter bracket if using the Extreme in a desktop. Notebook users really don't have to worry about the adapter bracket, but without data migration software, you might find yourself in a situation where you have to spend some money to avoid reinstalling Windows.
Still though, the price trumps anything I could possible say since it's paired with a mature controller with high quality flash. For those still wondering, TRIM is now fixed on SanDisk Extreme drives with firmware R211 and is no longer an issue. It's just a footnote in history now.
We've tested a number of capacity sizes in the SanDisk Extreme line up now and would recommend all of them. SanDisk found an opening in the market and made sure the Extreme SSD would stick as the low price and no frills high performance SSD. It's really hard to go wrong when offering one of the fastest SSDs at the best price.
The 480GB model though does have a few notes to go with it though. Newer products on the market have higher write performance especially when dealing with 4K. The price jump negates the higher performance in the write department though since you won't see much of a difference after you get your programs installed and your system setup for daily use.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Packaging and SanDisk Extreme 480GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PS4 Pro Media Player update includes 4K support
- Colorful's amazing iGame GTX 1080 Ti looks MEAN, FAST
- Nintendo expects Switch to sell 110 million units
- Bungie makes Destiny 2 official with an artwork tease
- HTC Vive partners with WB for Ready Player One
- ASRock B150M PRO4V- Voltage Control ?
- N3150-ITX Mini-PCI Express Slot
- Intel Optane Memory: What It Is and Why It Matters
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse