Before we sign off on the Icy Dock MB996SP-6SB we need to verify its use doesn't impede the performance of our very fast SSD.
In the test above we used AIDA64 to measure read latency of a Monster Digital Daytona 240GB SSD. The top result was taken with the drive directly attached to the test system and the result below was with the Icy Dock MB996SP-6SB in the signal path. Both tests gave us a .03ms response time. If the MB996SP-6SB were to interfere with performance we would have seen it in this test.
Just to be sure we passed the same drive through a sequential read and write test. The results are nearly identical and the Icy Dock MB996SP-6SB didn't interfere with performance.
Icy Dock's MB996SP-6SB is a fairly unique product that gives storage enthusiasts the ability to use a large number of 2.5" storage products in places they weren't designed for.
I have a number of very nice computer cases, like the Lian-Li V2000, Cooler Master Stacker Series and Cosmos units that were never designed for 2.5" drives, but that doesn't mean I want to discard them. The MB996SP-6SB allows you to extend the life of classic products.
My classic cases weren't the reason I sought the MB996SP-6SB SATA III cages, though. We have a genuine need to place several 2.5" drives in a small package. In our case the MB996SP-6SB allows us to increase the density of our servers.
We would normally have to tape SSDs to drive sleds designed for the 3.5" form factor. This would of increased heat and ultimately reduced reliability. The last thing I want to do is configure another 24 virtual servers and two real servers to hold them all.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
- We noticed the review was posted early last week, overall is great! One thing to talk about is the issue with the screw's length. We went ahead and inquired further about this, and we have the updated revision for the case screws, which are at 2.5mm length. Any further would cause issues with the ejection mechanic. So, our new units in production have these screws, and should resolve the issue with mounting.
Latest News Posts
- IN WIN's Mod in Taiwan event kicks off, with the world's best modders
- New 4K Xbox Scorpio targeting 6TFLOPs, 1.5 times faster than PS4K
- E3 site lists Xbox One VR category with Oculus Rift devs attached
- New 4K Xbox to support Oculus Rift VR headset
- GeIL reveals new EVO FORZA DDR4 3866MHz RAM
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Amped Wireless Athena AC2600 RTA2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Router Review
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the new Level 10 Advanced gaming mouse
- EVGA announces its GeForce GTX 1080 series
- Palit announces the GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock and Super JetStream
- Manli announces its GeForce GTX 1080 Founder's Edition video card
- ASUS announces the ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080