Since I first took a look at a Soltek motherboard, I was impressed with the obvious effort that went into the manufacture of them. Though relatively new in the enthusiast arena, they are going out of their way to create a board that is overclocker friendly. And since there are a lot of VIA supporters out there still, the folks at Soltek want to make sure that they can service as many of the enthusiast crowd as possible.
So when we take a look at this newest AMD motherboard to bear the Soltek name, it is easy to see that there are still a lot of good features. With BIOS settings that will make even some of the big boys blush and built in features galore, it is truly a first class motherboard.
But you will have to weight the overall package and decide if you want to go with a chipset that hasn't quite managed to get to the same level of performance as the nVidia counterpart. Of course, the scores were not that huge and it is really unlikely that you would be able to see the differences with the naked eye. It would be nice if VIA would finally jump aboard the dual channel memory controller at least, but their single channel can still hang tough and not be left totally in the dust.
Besides the performance of the KT600 chipset, about the only real gripe I had about this board was the placement of the main power. If you have passive cooling on your video board, be extremely careful mounting it.
Bottom line...The Soltek SL-KT600-R motherboard has excellent features. Whether you're looking for SATA RAID, official support of the DDR400 standard, support of all Athlon processors to include the new Barton cores, or a full complement of eight USB 2.0 ports, the KT600-R has it all. But the lackluster performance of the VIA chipset will make you take a serious look at what kind of performance you really are looking for in a motherboard.
8 USB 2.0 ports
Excellent feature set
Very good BIOS settings available
Poor location of 20-pin main power
Marginal performance from KT600 chipset
No multiplier manipulation unless CPU physically unlocked
Rating - 8/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- SL-KT600-R - Page 1 [Introduction]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 2 [Specifications]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 3 [Contents]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 4 [The Board]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 5 [The Board - Continued]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 6 [The Board - Continued]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 7 [Installation Notes]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 8 [Test Setup & SiSoft Sandra]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 16 [Overclocking]
- SL-KT600-R - Page 17 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Watch Dogs 2 lead character reportedly leaked
- YouTube testing clean Material design
- Twitter stock falls to all-time low
- The Rock's alarm clock app inspires you to get up in the morning
- Fully prep for the ITIL Foundation Exam for just $39
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Asus F2A85-M won't go into BIOS
- I bought a new open box assus laptop but the sound does not work, help.
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience