The CM Storm Scout 2 is definitely a step up from the original in almost every way possible. The front is more rounded, and while still an aggressive looking unit, it should be pleasing to anyone who sees it. I like that Cooler Master covered the I/O panel, and the new handle is much improved over the first Scout. While we are at it, I may as well cover the deeper bump outs on the second version. They not only allow more room behind the tray, but on the left, you get a much better view, and a different fan arrangement.
Internally you are given options and amenities that would please any builder. Removing part of the HDD cage to allow for much longer cards, the 7+1 slot configuration, seven locations to add fans to, and this time native USB 3.0 - what more can you want at this price?
The cooling setup was less than spectacular as the Scout 2 is shipped. That isn't really the point here, though. Cooler Master, like many others, realizes that most stock offerings in a case get ripped out for better ones anyway. So, why not let the customer choose, and not have a pile of worthless fans lying around. If you want it quiet, the 120mm in the back is near silent as it is, so keeping the levels low is easy. If you want to have a jet engine next to you during a game, more power to you, in the Scout 2, the choice is yours. As for the rest of the build and my time with the CM Storm Scout 2 there is nothing that comes to mind that will trip you up, or may be an issue later down the road - the design is just that good.
With everything you have seen here, it makes me really like the Scout 2, when I really wasn't impressed with the original. That in itself is saying something for the second incarnation. While it does keep enough of the original to be recognized, that is it. For the base price of $99.99 just about everywhere I look, I really feel you are getting your money's worth with this purchase.
The Scout 2 really is a stylish, feature rich, portable solution to gamers on the go, or even those who want to act like they do. I just don't see how you could lose with this investment in the Cooler Master Storm Scout 2.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform