Inside the Cooler Master Storm Scout 2
Removing four thumbscrews then pulling the panels off allows us to glance inside of the Scout 2. You see that the hardware is shipped in the hard drive bays in that cardboard box and even that the wires are tied up and ran where they can't move around in transit.
The three 5.25" optical drive bays have flip style latches on this side to secure the drives. As for the other side, you must use screws to secure any device there.
The seven hard drive bays are broken up into a group of four at the top with three at the bottom. Also in the top section, there is an adapter included to allow you to be able to mount a 2.5" drive in this chassis.
This is why the hard drives were broken up into two groups. The top left side of the bays will come out once you remove five screws. This allows for what used to be a 287mm video card length limitation and expands that to 399mm.
Above the motherboard, in the roof of the chassis, you can install two 120mm fans. You need to remove the plastic cover to gain access to the screw holes by unclipping these six tabs. There is an arrow in the top side that shows once unclipped; it slides out in front of the handle.
The motherboard tray is clearly marked for both ATX and Micro ATX motherboards. Around the right edge and at the bottom there are three wire management routing holes, and this time the Scout 2 gets grommets. There are also seven convenient locations to tie up any loose wiring.
At the bottom of the chassis you will need to install a power supply. Of course you will be using the screws through the steel in the back to carry most of the weight, but there are also rubber pads to isolate the PSU from the floor to keep the fan grille from rubbing there.
Inside of the rear panel you see the all clear fan used to exhaust the chassis. This is 120mm and has red LEDs in it that you can use the button on top of the Scout 2 to turn on and off. The seven expansion slots run full covers with no ventilation, and the +1 vertical slot is to lock in a mouse or keyboard cord.
Behind the tray there is at least 20mm of space to pack in the wiring or connect the hard drives with. Don't worry if you think this space is limited, remember, we have that bump in the door to give us a full inch to do what we need to in here.
Untying the wiring from the front panel you do also get a pair of two-pin LED power leads that hang at the top of the chassis to go along with what you see here. The USB 3.0, F_Panel connections, USB 2.0 and the HD Audio/AC'97 connections all come in black to not stand out in the completed build.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The new Zelda game takes up nearly half Switch's storage
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 900p docked, 720p undocked
- Super Mario Odyseey hits 7 million views on YouTube
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will support HDR10, Dolby Vision
- GIGABYTE's Aorus brand is ready for next-gen GPUs
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99