This is a really tough position to be in and I don't envy anyone trying to make a decision on which product to purchase in this price range. On one side you have the Thecus N4800 which is packed with more features than anything else in its class. The N4800 spent a lot of time in the development stages and Thecus included every feature under the sun but some, like the dual displays and dual front side USB 3.0 ports will go unnoticed and unused by most users. What the N4800 does have though is locking drive bays, a feature we wish the Synology DS412+ offered.
The Synology DS412+ on the other side has features that are subtle and most end-users won't notice. Take the front cover for the drives. This reduces the overall NAS acoustics, but most users will just see it as a cover that hides the drives. Synology doesn't include any video output capabilities on the NAS like the N4800's HDMI and VGA ports, but there really isn't a need for the feature yet since the software needed for video playback has yet to come, at least in a reliable form.
All things considered, I think the king is still the king as long as you might grow into the advanced features offered by the Thecus N4800. What really puts the Thecus over the top is the 2GB RAM when the DS412+ only ships with 1GB. In a multi user environment the extra RAM will increase performance and also allow more of the advanced functions to run smoother.
That said the Synology DS412+ is an excellent product with some features that are superior. The cooling system for instance allows the DS412+ to run quieter. The no frills presentation will go over well in your small office, as well. Who really wants a bunch of blinking LEDs and displays distracting your attention away from whatever task you are working on? While the Thecus N4800 is out in front with an in your face presence, the Synology DS412+ is quietly tucked away in the corner for no one to notice.
The choice is going to come down to personal preference and if you may eventually use the video output now shipping on some NAS products in this price range.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [Synology DS412+]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Watch Metallica's themed gameplay trailer that failed
- Dead Rising 4 has 18 holes of mini golf to play through
- Star Wars Battlefront DLC pack announced for November 18
- Xbox boss says Nintendo has 'bold vision' with Switch
- Download Bungie's 2.4.1 patch update for Destiny now
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ASRock problem SB fan1
- GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - F20b BIOS BUG?
- Unable To Update AMD GPU Driver
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system