When I first heard (or didn't hear, rather) the noise output of this cooler, I was concerned that it wouldn't be able to handle the stress of the processor and would have me uninstalling it in nothing flat due to poor performance. I've had some coolers in for testing in the past that are quiet, but never have they been able to actually work to my expectations...until now. Yes, there are alternative cooling methods that create very little noise, but we're talking air cooling here folks. In pretty much every cooler that we test, high performance equates to high noise levels.
After having used the Scythe Kamakaze for a short time, I can say that their claims for both performance and noise are for real. They have managed to produce an air cooling system that provides you with very acceptable temperatures and a very low level of noise output.
Of course, not all is perfect. The most glaring oversight is the lack of the fan grill. As mentioned earlier, this is just too important a component to omit. It isn't uncommon for the main power harness to be positioned directly over or right next to the heatsink. All it takes is one small nudge and you might be hearing the wonderful sound of wires getting caught in a fan.
I'm still not sure about the clipping mechanism. While it is nice having a retention system that easily holds this juggernaut in place, the installation can be quite a task. Likely it will get easier with practice, but the initial mounting of the cooler was rather entertaining.
Availability of this heatsink is limited right now. Since we have a Japanese company making the product in their home country, it can be tough to come across one. But all accounts point to the fact that they are going to be showing up worldwide as distributorship increases with the new kids on the block. I have been hearing estimated retail prices of around US$35, so cost-wise the cooler also comes in at a reasonable mark.
Bottom line...If you are tired of the noise and want something better, then look toward the Scythe Kamakaze. Many folks aren't ready to go into the world of alternative cooling, but that doesn't mean they should have to suffer with an outrageously loud rig. The folks at Scythe have managed to come up with a HSF that not only cools well, but leaves your eardrums intact.
Very acceptable cooling prowess
Comes with PCI rheostat
Works on either AMD or Intel systems
No fan grill
Difficult to mount if motherboard is installed in case
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Kamakaze - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Kamakaze - Page 2 [The Cooler]
- Kamakaze - Page 3 [The Cooler - Part 2]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GALAX GTX 1080 Ti HOF, 3 x 8-pin PCIe power & LCD panel
- NVIDIA's recent Gamer Connect event in India: success
- More 'Star Trek' movies not guaranteed, warns star
- Night Trap returns, with the FMV game hitting consoles
- Vivendi could push for an Ubisoft takeover this year
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family