Strontium HAWK Series 120GB
Strontium isn't doing much to hide the fact that this drive is actually a SK Hynix SH910 SSD. I know for some of you that will increase your interest in this review. The SK Hynix 910 Series was first spotted for sale in Korea back in June. These drives are advertised in four capacity sizes - 120GB, 128GB, 240GB and 256GB. The larger capacity sizes are most likely free of RAISE.
Keeping with firsts, I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've seen a white SSD. The finish of the paint is really nice and even. The case finish actually makes the drive feel like it's made of ceramic and not aluminum.
Several of the 7mm drives we've tested feel flimsy, but the HAWK is a solid drive that doesn't flex when you breathe on it like the Corsair Neutron we tested last month.
Here we see the 7mm z-height. All of the standard 2.5" form factor mounting points are where they should be. They don't change till we get to 5mm next year. That means you can use the HAWK Series in your desktop with an adapter bracket (not included) and your regular notebook.
The SATA power and data connectors are offset to where they should be.
There isn't much happening on this side of the PCB other than the SandForce SF-2281 controller and a couple of surface mount components.
The SF-2281 is an 8-channel controller and Strontium populated all of the channels with 26nm Hynix synchronous MLC flash.
Here is a close up of the flash that's labeled H27QDG8VEBIR.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG announces X300, an entry-level smartphone
- Valve's future games might beam directly into your brain
- Gabe Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's best single-player game
- Resident Evil 7 will enjoy free DLC chapter post-launch
- Gabe on Half-Life 3: 'the number 3 must not be said'
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99