VisionTek Racer Series 120GB SSD
The VisionTek Racer uses a nice, solid, aluminum case that is a throwback to when SSDs were made like lumberjacks. Over the last few months we've seen a lot of plastic and wimpy cases for next-gen SSDs, this isn't a sissy case.
On the back we found the part and serial number as well as a warning not to open the drive.
The bottom and side mounting points are where they should be.
The SATA power and data connectors are where they should be as well, but the desktop adapter bracket does not offset the drive to the left. This can make cable installation difficult when you have 3.5" form factor drives next to center mounted SSDs and stiff cables, specifically the SATA power cable.
Where did the flash go?! Admittedly we've not found a lot to like about the VisionTek Racer so far, but this is where VisionTek really did an exceptional job. Wait...
Okay, this is where VisionTek did an exceptional job. Eight NAND flash chips use all 8-channels on the SF-2281 controller so you get very good SandForce performance. We've seen 120GB drives ship with just four chips, a lower power configuration, but one that produces less than optimal results in our Data on Disk tests.
We've seen 120GB drives with sixteen IMFT flash chips which can give a little extra performance in some tests, but draws more power. In my opinion the SF-2281 / eight NAND flash design is the best balancing point between performance and power.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset