VisionTek Racer Series 120GB SSD
The VisionTek Racer uses a nice, solid, aluminum case that is a throwback to when SSDs were made like lumberjacks. Over the last few months we've seen a lot of plastic and wimpy cases for next-gen SSDs, this isn't a sissy case.
On the back we found the part and serial number as well as a warning not to open the drive.
The bottom and side mounting points are where they should be.
The SATA power and data connectors are where they should be as well, but the desktop adapter bracket does not offset the drive to the left. This can make cable installation difficult when you have 3.5" form factor drives next to center mounted SSDs and stiff cables, specifically the SATA power cable.
Where did the flash go?! Admittedly we've not found a lot to like about the VisionTek Racer so far, but this is where VisionTek really did an exceptional job. Wait...
Okay, this is where VisionTek did an exceptional job. Eight NAND flash chips use all 8-channels on the SF-2281 controller so you get very good SandForce performance. We've seen 120GB drives ship with just four chips, a lower power configuration, but one that produces less than optimal results in our Data on Disk tests.
We've seen 120GB drives with sixteen IMFT flash chips which can give a little extra performance in some tests, but draws more power. In my opinion the SF-2281 / eight NAND flash design is the best balancing point between performance and power.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SpeedTree 8 to be shown at GDC 2017 on Amazon Lumberyard
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR could be ripped off the market soon
- Intel rocked to its Core over Ryzen, price drops begin
- Corsair's Lighting Node Pro: taking control of your LEDs
- Project CARS 2 latest screenshots look amazing
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications