AMD's Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition has become quite a funny model with companies not jumping on it quite as quickly as we would've thought they might have done. The slow pickup meant that I felt it was time to do a little investigating to see what exactly was going on with the model. The general thought process was that the lack of chips available meant that companies couldn't get the quantities they want, but it doesn't seem to be the main reason.
It seems that partners aren't all that happy with AMD when it comes to the HD 7970 GHz Edition; especially those that put in a lot of time and effort when it came to making special versions of the normal HD 7970. With companies still having stock and also not wanting to put more time into R&D, some are choosing to not worry about the HD 7970 GHz Edition.
Combine this with the fact that a lot of partners offer both NVIDIA and AMD based cards; those particular ones can just concentrate on the NVIDIA based GTX 680. This makes a whole lot of sense when you consider the two companies who have promoted the new model the most are Sapphire and HIS, both of who are AMD only partners.
With a bit more known about why we're not seeing companies jump straight on the HD 7970 GHz Edition, let's find out what's so special about the Sapphire video card we're looking at today. As always the first thing we're going to do is take a look at the package and cover some of the main feature highlights.
Once we've gone over the bundle we'll move into the card and the specification side of things. We'll also be taking the time to overclock the card so in the specification area we'll see what kind of overclock we managed to achieve today. Once we've done that we'll quick cover our testbed, talk about the cards we'll be using today and get into the performance side of things.
Sapphire has put together some great boxes lately and the new Vapor-X packaging looks fantastic. Looking to the right we can see the three main features that are promoted here including the Vapor-X Cooling system, EZ OC Boost and 28nm technology. Turning the box over gives us a bit of a blurb, but it also goes into some of the more specific AMD features, while also giving us a slight run down on them.
Looking above you can see that the package is very Sapphire with a Sapphire Select Club key, Quick Install Guide, driver CD, DVI to VGA connector, CrossFire bridge, dual Molex to 8-pin PCIe, Molex to 6-pin PCIe and the standard HDMI cable that we see Sapphire offer us a lot.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard working on new mobile games
- GALAX GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White: dual-slot GTX 1080 Ti
- The Division receives loadout feature in PTR patch
- CliffyB: AAA games in a 'weird spot', VR in '80s' period
- GDDR6 is coming to high-end GPUs in early 2018
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse Review
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- Looking for instant flash bios files for P67 Pro3 B3
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club