The pace of the data explosion is quickening with more and more users everyday adding to the problem. Cloud computing, social networks and the ever-expanding amount of mobile devices are creating the need for an exponential increase in not only computing power, but also storage capacity and speed.
Getting more 'horsepower' from each level of the storage subsystem is becoming necessary to keep up with the increasing loads. The advent of PCIe 3.0 thrusts the datacenter into the next generation and the new line of HBAs from LSI are poised to deliver. PCIe 3.0 not only brings throughput and IOPS gains, but also technological advances in the specification itself, with transmitter and receiver equalization, PLL improvements and clock data recovery. Gaining higher IOPS and more throughput from existing equipment is certainly an exciting prospect for users facing performance challenges.
The disruptive flash segment is growing daily and advances are needed such as PCIe 3.0 to keep up with the pace of SSD development. We can safely declare that the 9207-8i delivers IOPS potential that will be hard to beat. Even with some of the highest performing SSDs on the market, we could not fully press the 9207-8i to its limits. There is plenty of headroom that will keep the 9207 ahead of the game for at least a short time.
The key to any new implementation is simplicity and a wide range of compatibility. LSI delivers this easily with integrated drivers inside every major operating system, with a single binary OS driver that operates any Fusion-MPT controller or adaptor.
Delivering the performance efficiently is a requirement as datacenters are becoming more focused on lower power consumption. The 9207-8i Mustang offers the highest throughput of any HBA that is on the market and does so at an I/O per watt ratio that is also among the best available.
Another important consideration is pricing. The 9207-8i that we tested today has an MSRP of $305, which is a great deal considering the type of high-powered devices that it can handle easily. Typically, just one of the connected storage devices will cost more than the HBA itself, which is a fair price point in our opinion. This price point creates an I/O per dollar ratio that is simply unmatched in this category.
SSDs have stressed storage subsystems like never before. With the need for increasing speed and flexibility in the enterprise space, everyone seems ready to throw flash at every performance problem. I for one am all for this approach, it does not take much for me to get excited about flash storage. With LSI leading the way with the latest generation of their storage devices fully leveraging PCIe 3.0 performance, doing that just has gotten much easier.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [PCIe 3.0 Makes Its Entrance]
- Page 3 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 4 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 5 [Latency and 4K Random]
- Page 6 [Sequential Read Speed]
- Page 7 [512B Random Read Testing]
- Page 8 [Thermal Monitoring and Watts to IOPS]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- NASA dumps over 8,400 photos from the Apollo moon mission onto Flickr
- Samsung Galaxy S7 will have Qualcomm or Samsung processors
- NVIDIA showed off its next-gen HBM-based Pascal GPU in Japan recently
- Players attempt to enter nostalgia trip as CODPROMOD kicks on
- Check out these official DOCTOR WHO wired and wireless headphones
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- Tesoro Lobera Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Gigabyte Windows 10 driver updates, Utilities...
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog