512B Random Read Testing
The final area that we can compare the tremendous speed of the 9207-8i Mustang against the 9211-8i requires us to use the SanDisk ESS Lightning LS 300S Enterprise Flash Drives in an attempt to saturate the controller with read IOPS.
We configured the four SanDisk SSDs as separate volumes and dialed up the Queue Depth with 512B random 100% read access.
We can observe the 9207-8i topping out much higher than the 9211-8i. The 9207 reaches 633,000 IOPS at top speed compared to the 9211 with 464,000 IOPS. This is an increase of 27%, but actually, the 9207-8i is rated at 700,000 IOPS, which would equate to a 34% increase in IOPS performance.
The SanDisk ESS Lightning's provide us 158,250 IOPS each, which is nearly perfect scaling with their ability to provide up to 160,000 IOPS each.
Here we can see the Lightning's pushing out 632,000 IOPS with an excellent .2021 ms average latency. This low latency is far out of reach with typical SSDs.
The low average latency with very high Queue Depth IOPS requests is what separates the Lightning's from most SSDs. Here we can observe an average latency comparison between the two HBAs, with the 9207-8i enjoying a much lower overall latency.
One aspect of performance that the 9207-8i appears to handle very well is maximum latency. While conducting our 512b random testing we noticed that the maximum latency we were receiving was much higher with the 9211 compared to the 9207.
We conducted the tests several times to assure that the results are accurate and reproducible. While this may be specific to our configuration, we feel that this would be an expected result with the much more efficient PCIe 3.0 specification. The possibility of receiving much better latency alone with existing devices will be enough for many users to make the jump.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [PCIe 3.0 Makes Its Entrance]
- Page 3 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 4 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 5 [Latency and 4K Random]
- Page 6 [Sequential Read Speed]
- Page 7 [512B Random Read Testing]
- Page 8 [Thermal Monitoring and Watts to IOPS]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dishonored 2 lets you play as Corvo or Emily, has dynamic endings
- New Watch Dogs 2 lead character reportedly leaked
- YouTube testing clean Material design
- Twitter stock falls to all-time low
- The Rock's alarm clock app inspires you to get up in the morning
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Asus F2A85-M won't go into BIOS
- I bought a new open box assus laptop but the sound does not work, help.
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience