Intel's first great success on the Pentium 4 was the increase cache size to 512Kbyte to allow for faster CPU fetches - Next the move to 0.13 micron which allowed for faster speeds - The final stroke for the Intel Pentium 4 was the breaking of the 3GHz barrier well ahead of its rival AMD who are currently 1GHz or just under 40% behind.
Pentium 4 is one of the most future orientated processors of its time. Allowing for additions such as high FSB speeds currently reaching 800MHz FSB and expected to hit 1.2GHz soon with Prescott along with Hyper Threading allows for a wider variety of applications and games to take full advantage of what the Pentium 4 can offer.
The AMD Athlon XP 3200+, while fast is no match for the top of the line Pentium 4. Athlon XP is simply a faster version of the original Thunderbird core released in 1999 since there have only been two major changes: Cache increase from 256Kbyte to 512Kbyte in the Barton core and the addition of SSE in the CPU to allow the Athlon XP CPU to run Intel SSE applications.
While supporting a 400MHz FSB, this is no where near enough to handle what is needed by today's games and applications. AMD simply has lagged behind on the Athlon front, pouring more attention to the Athlon 64.
Intel may have lost its performance crown to AMD when the Pentium 4 first arrived, but it has regained it and continues to push the gap between the two rival companies as we begin to smell the air of 64-bit computing.
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Final Thoughts
Raw 3.2GHz CPU Power
1.5v CPU Core voltage
Runs cooler than AMD counterparts
Integrated Heat Spreader
Won't run on most I845 series boards (unless stated to run 800MHz FSB)
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Final Thoughts
Cheaper than Pentium 4 CPU's
Easy to overclock
3200+ rating not fully accurate
Requires new 400MHz FSB Chipset
Rating - 8 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 2 [Features in Detail]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 3 [Features in Detail Continued]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 4 [The Photos]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test Systems and Sandra 2003]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 6 [Benchmarks - System and Multimedia Productivity]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Synthetic 3D and PC]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 8 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 10 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Nintendo won't be at E3 2017
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives