Intel's first great success on the Pentium 4 was the increase cache size to 512Kbyte to allow for faster CPU fetches - Next the move to 0.13 micron which allowed for faster speeds - The final stroke for the Intel Pentium 4 was the breaking of the 3GHz barrier well ahead of its rival AMD who are currently 1GHz or just under 40% behind.
Pentium 4 is one of the most future orientated processors of its time. Allowing for additions such as high FSB speeds currently reaching 800MHz FSB and expected to hit 1.2GHz soon with Prescott along with Hyper Threading allows for a wider variety of applications and games to take full advantage of what the Pentium 4 can offer.
The AMD Athlon XP 3200+, while fast is no match for the top of the line Pentium 4. Athlon XP is simply a faster version of the original Thunderbird core released in 1999 since there have only been two major changes: Cache increase from 256Kbyte to 512Kbyte in the Barton core and the addition of SSE in the CPU to allow the Athlon XP CPU to run Intel SSE applications.
While supporting a 400MHz FSB, this is no where near enough to handle what is needed by today's games and applications. AMD simply has lagged behind on the Athlon front, pouring more attention to the Athlon 64.
Intel may have lost its performance crown to AMD when the Pentium 4 first arrived, but it has regained it and continues to push the gap between the two rival companies as we begin to smell the air of 64-bit computing.
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Final Thoughts
Raw 3.2GHz CPU Power
1.5v CPU Core voltage
Runs cooler than AMD counterparts
Integrated Heat Spreader
Won't run on most I845 series boards (unless stated to run 800MHz FSB)
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Final Thoughts
Cheaper than Pentium 4 CPU's
Easy to overclock
3200+ rating not fully accurate
Requires new 400MHz FSB Chipset
Rating - 8 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 2 [Features in Detail]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 3 [Features in Detail Continued]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 4 [The Photos]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test Systems and Sandra 2003]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 6 [Benchmarks - System and Multimedia Productivity]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Synthetic 3D and PC]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 8 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Pentium 4 3.2GHz vs. Athlon XP 3200+ - Page 10 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Verizon acquires Vessel, will shut it down on October 31
- Nintendo investors hate new Switch console hybrid
- Nintendo teases Jan 12 event for 'major' Switch details
- Dolby Atmos update coming for Xbox One S
- LinusTechTips makes $3,000 custom watercooled PS4
- Battlefield 1 PC Performance and Quality Report
- Battlefield 1: War Stories Review
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- G.Skill announces the RIPJAWS KM570 MX mechanical keyboard
- iBuyPower announces the Slate gaming desktop
- Fujitsu and Lenovo to explore global strategic PC cooperation
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software