Installation and Finished Product
To get there we ran the threaded screw through the board, installed black plastic risers that thread onto the screw. Then you just grab the appropriate top brackets and use the large nuts to mount them to the rest of the hardware.
The back plate is some sort of composite more than it is plastic. When I dropped it accidentally, it sounded like a metal plate. When I took my knife to it to scratch and see what it was made of, it felt gritty, but cut much like a tough plastic.
With the cooler now mounted to that hardware with the addition of a cross bar mounting system with a screw already in each end. That allows you to grab the four tabs on the base to hold the cooler against the CPU. Even though the cooler had the correct pressure, I was still able to rotate the cooler about 3-5 degrees in both directions.
Memory is going to be an issue with this cooler for sure. While the cooler clears things pretty well, you can see I really had to push the fan far above the top of the cooler to get it to install with even these naked memory modules that I use.
At this point I went ahead and added the two 4-pin connections from the pair of fans to the top and I ran the single 4-pin extension cable from the CPU fan header on the motherboard to the bottom of the controller.
At this angle you can see that the body of the cooler is absolutely no issue at all, but if you are running large heat spreaders or any at all for that matter, you are going to lose a lot of that 106 CFM as it will blow right over the top of the cooler and ultimately make the height of this cooler an issue in some cases once installed.
Backing up quite a bit to look at the whole motherboard and cooler together, it shows that there aren't issues with the expansion slots, I can get access to the 8-pin EPS plug and well, as for the memory area, we already know the story there.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Thermaltake Frio Extreme CPU Cooler]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [The Test System and Thermal Results]
- Page 8 [Noise Level Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- AMD Crimson driver causing fan issues, hotfix incoming
- Apacer announces new Panther 2666MHz DDR4 RAM modules
- Police called due to altercation between eSports pro and journalist
- Amazon's new Prime Air drones deliver packages in 30 minutes or less
- Star Wars Battlefront weekend PC players doubled by Team Fortress 2
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- Star Wars Battlefront PlayStation 4 Review
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis