Installation and Finished Product
To get there we ran the threaded screw through the board, installed black plastic risers that thread onto the screw. Then you just grab the appropriate top brackets and use the large nuts to mount them to the rest of the hardware.
The back plate is some sort of composite more than it is plastic. When I dropped it accidentally, it sounded like a metal plate. When I took my knife to it to scratch and see what it was made of, it felt gritty, but cut much like a tough plastic.
With the cooler now mounted to that hardware with the addition of a cross bar mounting system with a screw already in each end. That allows you to grab the four tabs on the base to hold the cooler against the CPU. Even though the cooler had the correct pressure, I was still able to rotate the cooler about 3-5 degrees in both directions.
Memory is going to be an issue with this cooler for sure. While the cooler clears things pretty well, you can see I really had to push the fan far above the top of the cooler to get it to install with even these naked memory modules that I use.
At this point I went ahead and added the two 4-pin connections from the pair of fans to the top and I ran the single 4-pin extension cable from the CPU fan header on the motherboard to the bottom of the controller.
At this angle you can see that the body of the cooler is absolutely no issue at all, but if you are running large heat spreaders or any at all for that matter, you are going to lose a lot of that 106 CFM as it will blow right over the top of the cooler and ultimately make the height of this cooler an issue in some cases once installed.
Backing up quite a bit to look at the whole motherboard and cooler together, it shows that there aren't issues with the expansion slots, I can get access to the 8-pin EPS plug and well, as for the memory area, we already know the story there.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Thermaltake Frio Extreme CPU Cooler]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [The Test System and Thermal Results]
- Page 8 [Noise Level Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Conan Exiles alpha screenshots show a brutal and desolate world
- CBS not talking with Apple about streaming TV services anymore
- Unsurprisingly, the PlayStation 4 outsold the Xbox One in January
- Grand Theft Auto Online Valentine's day special, Adversary Mode
- Final Fantasy 14 patch 3.2 begins the Gears of Change
- Extreme Problem (not alone)
- Кадастровая оценка от Мо
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives