Specifications, Pricing and Availability
One of the most important aspects of any enterprise-class device is the endurance and reliability of the components, as the device is only going to be as strong as its weakest link. This really illustrates the wisdom of using the LSISAS2008. This processor is stable and proven, with a long track record of reliability under demanding conditions. Its ability to provide low latency access, along with the LSI OEM drivers that are integrated into every operating system, makes this an excellent choice.
Intel and Hitachi have partnered in developing the EW29AA31AA1 SSD controller which is currently also utilized in Hitachi Ultrastar SSDs. These enterprise class controllers handle all of the heavy lifting that is required for the NAND management onboard the 910. The wear leveling, ECC, garbage collection and other processes are handled by these controllers, keeping the overhead on the host system low.
The unfortunate fact is that as NAND ages it requires more intensive management. Some PCIe SSDs use the power of the host systems' CPU to handle the NAND management. These solutions will require ever-increasing amounts of system resources to handle these background tasks, robbing the host system of precious resources.
HET MLC is Intel's High Endurance Technology MLC. This provides SLC-like endurance at MLC prices. Sporting an industry-leading AFR (Annual Failure Rate) for its flash products, Intel offers a warranty of ten full drive writes per day for five years with the 910. This is an endurance improvement of 30X over the standard Intel MLC. HET MLC offers an impressive 7 Petabytes of write endurance for the 400GB model and 14 Petabytes for the 800GB model when measured with a random full-span 8k write workload.
The drive is rated for 180,000 random read and 75,000 random write IOPS, along with 2GB/s sequential read and 1GB/s sequential write for the 800GB model. The 910 specifications are measured when the SSD is under Steady State conditions and filled to 100% capacity. Intel does not market F.O.B. (Fresh Out of Box) specifications for the 910.
There is also the option to select a "Performance Mode' for this device. This allows the user to select a higher average power draw for the SSD which results in a sequential write performance increase up to 1.5GB/s from the standard 1GB/s. This does increase the average power draw from 25 Watts up to 28 Watts and the peak output to 38 Watts.
The 800GB model has an MSRP of $3859 and the 400GB is listed for $1929. This is an impressive price point, coming in at $4.82 per GB, outstripping much of the competition easily.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Intel 910 SSD]
- Page 4 [Intel 910 SSD Continued]
- Page 5 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 6 [Base Product Specifications]
- Page 7 [8K Randoms & Server Emulations]
- Page 8 [Power Measurements and Thermal Monitoring]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance