Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Even though we are mainly focusing on the DLNA media streaming capabilities today, the Pioneer Music Tap products are designed like mini receivers with several sources available. An iPod / iPhone dock is built into the front of the unit and the included remote control acts as the control device for the iPod. In the specifications you can see a list of supported Apple products which includes IPhone's. If Apple products aren't your thing, a single USB port is also located on the front of the Media Tap and you can play your audio directly from a USB drive or thumb drive. Other options include internet radio, FM Radio, Bluetooth (optional on the lower end SMC3), Air Play and of course DLNA streaming.
Sound is pumped out of two 66mm full range speakers, one on each side. Two 76.2mm passive radiators are also nestled on each side and stretch the lower frequencies down low to areas a 66mm speaker would never be able to reach. The internal amplifier is rated for 2x 20 watts RMS at 8 ohms. Pioneer included bass and treble controls that range from -5 to +5. They also included some audio enhancement features as well, virtual surround, advanced sound retriever and a dynamic range control. In our article we'll give you the settings we found worked best for MP3's off the iPod and FLAC files from our DLNA-capable NAS.
Then there is the price. We've already stated that the EU model would of cost us around 285 British Pounds, the best price we were able to find online. The Elite X-SMC4-K that I purchased has an MSRP of $479 and the X-SCM3-S has an MSRP of $399. I ended up paying right around $175 for my X-SMC4-K, but I had to wait for a sale which I found using Google's shopping feature.
To be honest, if I couldn't find a super deal on this unit, this review wouldn't have taken place. Nearly $500 for a media player to put in my kitchen is a little over board, even for me. Less than $200 though, well as you see this review is online so I was comfortable with that.
Now, let's see if I like the unit enough to put one in my bedroom, dining room and outside patio.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [Pioneer Elite X-SMC4-K Music Tap]
- Page 5 [The Remote and Display]
- Page 6 [Putting it to Work - Using the Pioneer Elite X-SMC4-K]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dishonored 2 lets you play as Corvo or Emily, has dynamic endings
- New Watch Dogs 2 lead character reportedly leaked
- YouTube testing clean Material design
- Twitter stock falls to all-time low
- The Rock's alarm clock app inspires you to get up in the morning
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Asus F2A85-M won't go into BIOS
- I bought a new open box assus laptop but the sound does not work, help.
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience