Here we get our first look at the QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP. QNAP didn't include a display panel, drive key lock system or front door. It's just enterprise through and through.
Even the power button and status lights are moved to the outside where a pull handle covers them.
Each side has a handle that you use to slide the NAS from the rack with. On the left side tucked away for protection is the power button and four status lights.
Each drive sled has a protective lock so you don't accidently hit the gray button that releases the latch. In this image the top drive is unlocked and the two bottom sleds are locked.
The TS-1279U-RP can use both SATA and SAS drives. This is uncommon on consumer or most small business NAS products and is just another feature that pushes this model deeper into the enterprise space.
Without the trays the QNAP looks more like a full server than a NAS.
The TS-EC1279U-RP is 20.47 inches long which is pretty typical for a rack mount unit. On the side we found the mounting positions for the rails that allow you to install the NAS in our rack. QNAP does not include the rails; you have to purchase them separately, which is a bit of a pain since you can't install the NAS in a system with the 'ears'.
The front of the NAS is impressive to look at, but it doesn't have any USB or external ports. All of the ports are found on the back of the NAS.
The two power plugs are due to the redundant power supplies. The system can run on just one so if a PSU were to fail the NAS will continue to operate.
In the middle is where you'll find the six USB ports (2x USB 3.0), two eSATA ports and two gigabit Ethernet ports.
The TS-EC1279U-RP ships with four gigabit Ethernet ports, the second are on a PCIe card. The standard configuration has a block off place for the second PCIe slot, but ours is filled with an Intel 10GbE network card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP]
- Page 5 [QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP Internals]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Security experts say Australia is a very easy hacker target
- Microsoft looks to clear its Surface, offers $500AU off for Aussies
- Microsoft's Nokia 230 is here and it's $55
- Law student caught trying to hack and change his marks for the better
- Black Friday, $500 off Eurocom laptop with Desktop i7 CPU and GTX 980
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader