Here we get our first look at the QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP. QNAP didn't include a display panel, drive key lock system or front door. It's just enterprise through and through.
Even the power button and status lights are moved to the outside where a pull handle covers them.
Each side has a handle that you use to slide the NAS from the rack with. On the left side tucked away for protection is the power button and four status lights.
Each drive sled has a protective lock so you don't accidently hit the gray button that releases the latch. In this image the top drive is unlocked and the two bottom sleds are locked.
The TS-1279U-RP can use both SATA and SAS drives. This is uncommon on consumer or most small business NAS products and is just another feature that pushes this model deeper into the enterprise space.
Without the trays the QNAP looks more like a full server than a NAS.
The TS-EC1279U-RP is 20.47 inches long which is pretty typical for a rack mount unit. On the side we found the mounting positions for the rails that allow you to install the NAS in our rack. QNAP does not include the rails; you have to purchase them separately, which is a bit of a pain since you can't install the NAS in a system with the 'ears'.
The front of the NAS is impressive to look at, but it doesn't have any USB or external ports. All of the ports are found on the back of the NAS.
The two power plugs are due to the redundant power supplies. The system can run on just one so if a PSU were to fail the NAS will continue to operate.
In the middle is where you'll find the six USB ports (2x USB 3.0), two eSATA ports and two gigabit Ethernet ports.
The TS-EC1279U-RP ships with four gigabit Ethernet ports, the second are on a PCIe card. The standard configuration has a block off place for the second PCIe slot, but ours is filled with an Intel 10GbE network card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP]
- Page 5 [QNAP TS-EC1279U-RP Internals]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo's Super Mario Run mobile game is online-only
- Next iPhone might not be that spectacular after all...
- Samsung confirms Black Pearl; comes with more storage
- Pewdiepie to delete his channel later today
- NASA joins Giphy with almost 500 awesome GIFs
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD