Chaintech might be one of the most liberal with their portfolio but when a board comes out it stands out in the crowd.
Layout of the board was on par with 99% of the Pentium 4 market, with only that 1% pulling off the perfect layout. Cable clearances and placements of the IDE, FDD and 20 pin socket were what we could class as being in the best possible places, with only the 4 pin being the one to complain about. The idea of colour coding isn't a totally new idea but it is one that we are glad to see Chaintech has included, this makes for setting up the Dual Channel memory much easier than having to go through the book to find the right slot for each configuration.
The onboard preferals were nothing short of great. Using the Intel Serial ATA controller to give RAID is a great bonus along with the trusted VIA Firewire controller. Adding Dual Ethernet was something that was a shock to us. While most of us don't need dual Ethernet, you can use it to boost your LAN speeds with dual ports on a router or switch, either way it's still nice to have two ports.
Overclocking on the board was good in that we managed to get some high FSB speeds out of the 9CJS, the only bad part on the FSB front is that it maxes out at 250, which might seem high but with a 2.6C 800FSB P4, 250MHz is a very limiting number. Voltages were pretty well high enough to gain a successful high end overclock, however, we would have liked to see more voltage steps for the CPU rather than 3 simple +0.1, +0.2 and +0.3
Overall the Chaintech 9CJS is defiantly at the head of the class at this stage released with some great features onboard and potential for future use.
VIA Envy 24bit Sound
Remote Control Access to PC
Placement of 4 pin ATX Connector
Limited FSB max
Too few CPU voltage options
Rating: 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 3 [Features]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking Results]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System and Sandra 2003]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 7 [Benchmarks - System and Multimedia Productivity]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetic 3D and PC]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 9 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Chaintech 9CJS - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Final Fantasy VII Remake has destructible environments
- HTC's Snapdragon 835 powered flagship leaks - the HTC U
- Final Fantasy XIV free trial now has unlimited time
- SpaceX to launch first-ever used rocket to space
- Gamestop: we'll be chasing Switch supply this whole year
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- DDR3 RAM question
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- GIGABYTE AX370-Gaming 5 (AMD X370) Motherboard Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design