I always enjoy searching the web and trade shows for new companies that may one day challenge for the top spot in a product category. With Computex Taipei 2012 right around the corner, we're going to see more articles like this. Little did I know when my quest started that I would find our first test subject so close to home. Data Memory Systems is right here in the US... Salem, New Hampshire to be specific.
When I think of that area of the country, it's like going back in time. There is so much history out east - hell, it is where the US started with the colonies. Many things are still old fashion out there and DMS is still a part of that friendly, old school era. When you call DMS you get a person on the other end of the line. "Hello, thanks for calling. What can we do for you?" There are so many places and so many companies that just don't offer that type of service. Most companies these days think Facetwit is where customer service starts.
Getting real service and real support, before and after the sale tends to cost companies a little more so the products are a bit more expensive. The Celerity 6G Plus is in that category. The 120GB drive we looked at today is available for $239. It's not the most expensive 120GB SSD on the market right now, but it's not the cheapest either.
When it comes to performance, the drive is a beast. A big part of that comes from the new 3.3.4 firmware, but the choice of flash also plays a role. The 6G Plus is also very stable, another credit to the firmware. This is the kind of SSD that you buy and use for several years. Sure, there are newer drives with new 24nm flash, but DMS hasn't jumped on that bandwagon and is keeping the 6G Plus reliable.
All things considered the DMS Celerity 6G Plus is a good release, but I think the price is going to hold most of you back from ordering. It's too bad we didn't test this drive when the SF-2281 era started because the price would have fit with the mainstream SSD makers. The additional exposure might have given DMS the opportunity to battle it out in the low cost arena.
We'll keep an eye on Data Memory Systems for future releases and let you know what comes down the pipe. The company has been around for more than 20 years, so they aren't going to fade away any time soon.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [DMS Celerity 6G Plus 120GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The World of 'Warcraft' comes to Blu-ray, 4K in September
- Windows 10 will cost $119 after free upgrade expires
- Hacker uncovers Vine source code, Twitter pays him $10,080
- Nexus, Android One phones updated with spam caller protection
- Run Windows natively on Mac and Linux without the hassle
- MDD BP5e 480GB M.2 SATA III SSD Review
- ASRock Beebox-S (Intel Core i5-6200U) Mini PC Review
- AMD Positioning Itself to Become a Commanding Force in Rendering
- GA-EX58-UD5 New Bios Ver. F14
- SanDisk iXpand Memory Case and Battery for iPhone Review
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio