I always enjoy searching the web and trade shows for new companies that may one day challenge for the top spot in a product category. With Computex Taipei 2012 right around the corner, we're going to see more articles like this. Little did I know when my quest started that I would find our first test subject so close to home. Data Memory Systems is right here in the US... Salem, New Hampshire to be specific.
When I think of that area of the country, it's like going back in time. There is so much history out east - hell, it is where the US started with the colonies. Many things are still old fashion out there and DMS is still a part of that friendly, old school era. When you call DMS you get a person on the other end of the line. "Hello, thanks for calling. What can we do for you?" There are so many places and so many companies that just don't offer that type of service. Most companies these days think Facetwit is where customer service starts.
Getting real service and real support, before and after the sale tends to cost companies a little more so the products are a bit more expensive. The Celerity 6G Plus is in that category. The 120GB drive we looked at today is available for $239. It's not the most expensive 120GB SSD on the market right now, but it's not the cheapest either.
When it comes to performance, the drive is a beast. A big part of that comes from the new 3.3.4 firmware, but the choice of flash also plays a role. The 6G Plus is also very stable, another credit to the firmware. This is the kind of SSD that you buy and use for several years. Sure, there are newer drives with new 24nm flash, but DMS hasn't jumped on that bandwagon and is keeping the 6G Plus reliable.
All things considered the DMS Celerity 6G Plus is a good release, but I think the price is going to hold most of you back from ordering. It's too bad we didn't test this drive when the SF-2281 era started because the price would have fit with the mainstream SSD makers. The additional exposure might have given DMS the opportunity to battle it out in the low cost arena.
We'll keep an eye on Data Memory Systems for future releases and let you know what comes down the pipe. The company has been around for more than 20 years, so they aren't going to fade away any time soon.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [DMS Celerity 6G Plus 120GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ubisoft's latest 'The Breach' trailer for Rainbow Six: Siege
- Quentin Tarantino explains his love for 70mm, says it trumps digital
- Man gets shot, instead of calling the cops, he grabs an Uber home
- New Fallout 4 mod dramatically overhauls in-game landscapes
- Apple rumored to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the next iPhone
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- Newly built PC won't boot
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis