This particular unit falls into the "Budget" category, but don't let that fool you. It is a standard sized 60mm x 60mm heatsink that has a 36cfm fan mounted on top. It also has a 40mm circular copper insert in the middle of the heatsink base to help dissipate heat at a very respectable rate.
Overall performance was very good for a lower priced HSF. It was giving me better results than the GlobalWin FOP 32-1 that I have been using. I believe that this was primarily due to the copper insert. Copper is a good conductor of heat, so the added presence of this metal in the base helps to spread out the heat so that the high-speed fan can get it away from the processor. This means better overall cooling and lower temperatures for both the core and the system.
- The Fan
The fan in this HSF combo is a 36 CFM model made by the Dynaeon Company of Taiwan. OCZ claims that it is "much quieter than a Delta fan". While it is quieter, I'm not sure that I agree with the much part of their statement. Even so, the noise was not distracting and had no impact on my normal computing. Power for the fan is by means of a 4-pin connector. This means that the fan will need to be hooked straight to one of the harness connectors that come from the power supply. I personally prefer this setup since the power from the PSU is more stable than the small 3-pin molex connections on the motherboard. Granted, you can't monitor the fan speeds through the BIOS, but the performance has always seemed to be stable.
One nice feature of the fan was the fan grill. While this may seem trivial, it's a part that is often neglected by companies that sell so-called "quality" components. Now I'm not the type to stick a finger in the thing just to see if it hurts, but I can tell you from experience that it's a gut-wrenching feeling when you're in the middle of a furious deathmatch and you hear one of the wires inside the case get sucked up into the fan blades. Talk about a blown match!
- The Heatsink
The heatsink of this unit is pretty standard. It measures 60mm x 60mm x 35mm. It is an aluminum block with 15 fins going all the way across the sink. The retaining clip is standard for the most part, but has a small plastic covering on the side where you push down to attach it to the mainboard. This is very nice on the fingertips and makes the installation process much easier.
As mentioned before, the base of the heatsink has a 40mm circular copper insert in it. It is nicely centered in the work area where the processor core will be making contact. Which brings me to another very nice touch that has been added to this HSF a polished base and insert. What makes this so convenient is the fact that it saves me from having to lap the base with fine grit sandpaper, and then polishing it myself. The work has been done for you already. The polished base will also give you a much better contact between the HSF and the processor. Just add a little Arctic Silver, and you'll be ready for business.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- 6S Marketing hopes Apple names new phone the iPhone 7, not iPhone 6s
- Pandora announces Listener Love Day on Sept. 9, a day of ad-free music
- Xbox manager: 2015 shaping up to be best year of gaming since 2007
- Entrepreneur voices concerns robots could have on human workforce
- Simplify World Travel With the Twist Plus+ World Charging Station
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 support Intel SSD 750 Series
- Saberthooth 990FX gpu passtrough
- asrock x99 extreme 4 extra pins
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015