The RunCore Pro V MAX is a typical RunCore SSD in almost every way. The drive is fast enough to compete with the highest performing products on the market, but at the same time is priced so high that you would be foolish to actually buy one.
Let's look at the performance first. The RunCore Pro V MAX runs with the Intel 520 Series and SanDisk Extreme SSD. These three SandForce SF-2281 based drives are right together in almost every single test. In some cases the MAX even outperforms both of these other products. The Pro V MAX is a very fast drive.
Keeping with the 240GB capacity size, the size we tested today, RunCore is positioning this drive at $549.99. It's been a very long time since we've seen a 240GB SSD based on a SandForce controller priced that high... like two years ago.
To put it in perspective, the SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB is selling at Newegg today for $289.99 and the Intel 520, one of the most expensive consumer class SSDs on the market at this time is selling for $344.99. You can't quite get a two for the price of a MAX from either the SanDisk or the Intel models, but the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB, another SandForce SF-2281 based drive with synchronous flash can be purchased at $249.99 each today.
At this time it really doesn't matter how good the performance of the RunCore Pro V MAX is. The price is the limiting factor and one of two areas that is holding RunCore back. The other is availability. RunCore does not have a large market presence, so finding their products for less than MSRP isn't exactly easy. For years MyDigitalDiscount.com, an SSD specialty e-tailer carried several RunCore products, but that seems to be fading. All is not lost though and RunCore has big plans that should change both of these problem areas.
RunCore is building a massive factory to manufacture their SSDs, maybe the largest in the world when completed. When the factory is finished and all of the SMT lines are operations, we should start to see the prices come down and the availability increase by a large margin. Let's hope that day comes sooner rather than later.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [RunCore Pro V MAX 240GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Vivendi could push for an Ubisoft takeover this year
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds charity event: May 4
- Jeff Goldblum joins 'Jurassic World 2' cast
- MSI bundles super-fast Optane M.2 with motherboards
- Director hoping for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' 4K Blu-ray
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family