More Features of the GA-7VAXP-A Ultra
Ever Popular Serial ATA
While lacking the VT8237 Southbridge's Serial ATA controllers, Gigabyte isn't one to fall behind in the features department. For quite a while Gigabyte has been fitting Silicon Image Serial ATA controller chips to their boards. This chips allows for two Serial ATA ports to be used as either BASE mode (such as a standard hard disk controller) or as a RAID unit. In RAID mode you have the option for RAID mode 0 or 1.
GigaRAID, IDE too?
While a lot of motherboard manufacturers have been adding Serial ATA RAID onto their motherboards recently, a lot have forgotten about IDE RAID. Quite a lot of us still have IDE RAID systems in our PC's and without a controller onboard you have some problems. Gigabyte is prepared for those of us who have IDE RAID systems by adding the GigaRAID controller. This controller allows for up to four IDE devices in RAID 0, RAID 1 or RAID 0+1.
Firewire - Adding up the features
So far Gigabyte has added quite a number of features to its board, now it adds some more.
Firewire has become a rather well liked serial interface to rival that of the USB 2.0 specs. While being 80mbps slower than USB 2.0, Firewire is fully hardware controlled, which means the Firewire chip does most of the work itself rather than the CPU. VIA VT6306 controller chip has been used which allows for up to three Firewire ports, these are rear accessible with a three port Firewire bracket supplied by Gigabyte.
Despite the onboard Ethernet controller built into the Southbridge, Gigabyte isn't as happy with the performance of the CPU usage of the VIA Rhine 2 networking. Realtek RTL8100BL PCI Ethernet controller is included as a result. This chip is linked to the PCI bus and gives great performance compared to the VIA networking alternative.
BIOS and Overclocking
Gigabyte has been doing overclocking on its AMD boards pretty hardcore over the last three models. Using a standard Award BIOS, you will find the Frequency/Voltage Settings menu.
FSB settings are adjustable from 100MHz up to 250MHz in 1MHz increments. This allows for the maximum out of your CPU.
CPU core voltage can be adjusted from 1.3v up to 1.85v in 0.025v increments.
DRAM voltages can be changed from default to +0.3v. This allows for a maximum of 2.8v for the DRAM. Honestly up to 3.0v is more acceptable, 3.2v is the maximum you would want to go, it would be nice of Gigabyte to increase its voltage limits on their next boards.
AGP voltages can be adjusted from default to +0.3v like the DRAM. Since the AGP is sensitive to changes to voltage up to 0.3v above normal is well enough.
AGP/PCI dividers can be locked to 66/33MHz respectively to allow you to keep the AGP and PCI frequencies well within specifications.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 3 [Features]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 4 [More Features]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 5 [VIA KT400A Chipset]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 7 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetic 3D and PC]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 9 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Gigabyte 7VAXP-A Ultra - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Elon Musk teases Model Y for 'S3XY' lineup
- Samsung confirms that the Note7 isn't quite dead yet
- Apple iPhone 6s was the best-selling smartphone of 2016
- Rogue One looks great, even in a fan-made VHS commercial
- Intel working on next-gen Xeon with 32C/64T of power
- N3150-ITX Mini-PCI Express Slot
- Intel Optane Memory: What It Is and Why It Matters
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse