Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Plextor has already launched three capacity sizes under the M3 Pro umbrella. Those are 128GB that we reviewed earlier in the week, the 256GB model that we are looking at today and a massive 512GB capacity size. The 256GB and 512GB both receive a very large 512MB cache while the 128GB drive only gets 256MB. You may notice that Plextor didn't release a 60GB model in the Pro class, but they did release a 60GB drive in the non-pro, M3 series.
As we said earlier in the week we looked at the 128GB M3 Pro and it has a claimed performance of up to 535MB/s read and 350MB/s write speeds. The 256GB drive we are looking at today moves those specs to 540MB/s read and gets a big boost in the maximum write performance, all the way up to 420MB/s.
Other notable specifications from the list that we found interesting include the 1.5 million hour mean time between failure, a number high enough to put the M3 Pro into the enterprise category. Most of the enterprise drives, HDD or SSD usually pull quite a bit of power, but that isn't the case with the M3 Pro. Plextor is claiming a very low .01 watt while idle and 5 watts while active. Finally the new M3 Pro series all use the new 7mm Z-Height form factor making these drives available in many of the new ultrabook products on the market.
Newegg already lists all three capacity sizes of the Plextor M3 Pro. The 256GB model we're looking at today is listed at the time of writing at $374.99. The MSRP according to Newegg is $399, so we are already seeing a nice reduction, but at this price, the M3 Pro 256GB is one of the higher priced consumer SSDs available today.
For that price you are getting a premium SSD with a premium accessory bundle. The five year warranty is certainly the stand out from this group, but not the only nice add-on you get. The 7mm height should be included in this group because it extends your installation options. Along the same lines of thinking, the included desktop adapter bracket extents your installation options as well. Disk cloning and data backup software is also included in the package, a nice feature that we don't see every day with consumer SSDs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Plextor M3 Pro 256GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch Pro controller can be used to play PC games
- Xbox One gets $10 EA Access-like subscription service
- The Xenomorph is unleashed in new 'Alien' trailer
- NVIDIA announces its new GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
- Bethesda optimizing games for AMD's Ryzen and Vega tech
- IPMI on E3C226D2I
- Site & Forum impressions
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Massive, Lightstorm and Fox Interactive team up for a game based on Avatar universe
- FutureMark reveals new VR and server benchmarking tools
- LG preparing VR HMD
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art