Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are greater than that of the SilverStone Strider Gold 850W, we can test it to the maximum.
Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V rail, we see 2% regulation from start to finish. The 12V rail showed a total drop of .14V from start to finish. The 5V rail did just as well as it and managed to stay within 2% of specification with a total drop of .09V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was still within 2% with a total voltage drop of .05V.
DC output quality was close to what we expected from the and better than what we saw with the 1200W model. We started off seeing 18mV of ripple on the 12V rail during Test 1. As we increased the loads, the ripple had increased to 30mV at a little over half load. By the time we had the maximum load of 850W we were seeing 45mV of noise.
The Strider Gold Evolution is rated for 80Plus Gold efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 87%/90%/87% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the Strider Gold Evolution passed on our bench and wasn't close to failing at any point.
The SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution is a very solid power supply all the way around.
The unit has a great list of features that would be almost perfect if the unit were rated for 100% continuous output at 50C. Build quality doesn't get much better either with 100% Japanese capacitor construction, the inclusion of additional capacitors on the PCI-E cables and the Air Penetrator fan. The ST85F-G Evolution even has great performance to back it up.
If SilverStone could knock the noise down a bit and improve the DC output quality a tad, they would have one of the best 850W power supplies on the market... and one of the cheapest to boot.
SilverStone has done a much better job this time around and really does come close to their claim of "the perfect balance of performance, efficiency, and quality."
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture Oscar in huge screw up
- Switch handheld battery lasts over 3 hours playing Zelda
- Hack 'Mr Robot' and win a Season 2 Blu-ray on us!
- Samsung teases the Galaxy S8 and confirms launch date
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 with stylus introduced at MWC
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity
- Razer releases power bank smart charge mobile accessory
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand