This isn't the first time our Data on Disk Testing has crushed the dreams of a new SSD trying to dethrone the SandForce SF-2281 / synchronous flash combination in real-world tests. We're seeing several companies produce SSDs with Marvell controllers, but it's going to take something really special to make tame the drive when data is present.
All is not lost for the Plextor M3 256GB drive, though. Above we see the individual results from the 50% fill rate test. The slowest metric is 137MB/s and that was recorded in the Windows Media Player test. I don't think anyone would be unhappy with this level of performance, it's just not the best there is on the market today. The Plextor M3 has other benefits that make it a better all around performer. The data transfer test for example shows the M3 outperforming the Vertex 3 240GB. When running a larger capacity drive you'll transfer more data to and from your computer or at least to your solid state drive.
While writing this review two things happened at Newegg. The first is the OCZ Vertex 3 240GB, our baseline SSD for 2012 increased in price to $349.99. The second thing that happened is Plextor released a mail in rebate at Newegg that drops the price of the 256GB model down to $289.99. Even without the MIR the Plextor M3 comes in at just $309.99, which is a very good price on its own.
The Plextor M3 ships with a very good five year warranty. This is only matched in the SSD world by OWC and Intel's five year warranties. Plextor also ships their M3 with a very good accessory package, one of the best on the market. The drive is very fast as we determined today. It's not the absolute fastest in the daily real-world tests, but its fast enough to keep up with the high-end SandForce drives. The file transfer test was won by the Plextor M3 though and when everything is added together the Plextor M3 is one of the best all around drives you can buy today. We really like the price, too!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Plextor M3 Series 256GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives